What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done this many times on aluminum boat components. Take a dremel tool with one of the small cut off wheels and reach up there and grind a slot in the end of the broken off bolt for a flat tip screw driver. You mentioned the bolt wasn't tight when it broke off so it should turn right out. You may end up cutting a bit of a slot in the aluminum too but that won't hurt anything. Good luck!
GREAT idea!!!!!!!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've done this many times on aluminum boat components. Take a dremel tool with one of the small cut off wheels and reach up there and grind a slot in the end of the broken off bolt for a flat tip screw driver. You mentioned the bolt wasn't tight when it broke off so it should turn right out. You may end up cutting a bit of a slot in the aluminum too but that won't hurt anything. Good luck!
Just gotta make sure not to accidentally mess up the sealing surface.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m afraid it will cut into the sealing surface as it’s too close, although if that happens i could probably grind it down a little, the whole surface/thing has no meaning but to block off the oil with no cooler liner, too bad gm didnt just weld it together!

Edit: Here’s the gasket, wonder if i cut slightly into the side to cut the bolt, will this result in oil leaking afterwards?

Attachments

• EC10D7EC-F380-427E-8FD8-56EB599B51DE.png
    EC10D7EC-F380-427E-8FD8-56EB599B51DE.png
    606.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m afraid it will cut into the sealing surface as it’s too close, although if that happens i could probably grind it down a little, the whole surface/thing has no meaning but to block off the oil with no cooler liner, too bad gm didnt just weld it together!

Edit: Here’s the gasket, wonder if i cut slightly into the side to cut the bolt, will this result in oil leaking afterwards?

IMHO would think you should be fine, the important sealing surface is around the pressure ports. You can put a dab of high temp RTV in the groove if you are worried about sealing the threaded hole from corrosion. You can also grind the dremel cutting wheel down quite a bit before hand to shrink the diameter of it and make the foot print of the cut smaller.

Reaction score
The Denali seems to be driving fine after the entire front suspension/steering replacement. It's back to feeling tight and not as loose or clunky over bumps.

When I re-assembled the upper control arm/alignment cam bolts I not only cleaned up the chassis mounting points but also sprayed the bolts with Fluid Film hoping to help keep them from rusting/binding to the bushing sleeves, especially the front most bolts.

I marked the alignment tabs and measured the tie rods before disassembly, and put everything back as close as I could. It seems to drive/steer OK, but I plan on having the alignment checked.

Where's a good, reasonably priced place to have that done? The local shop two blocks from me wants like $225 to do an alignment. Seems pretty high.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Denali seems to be driving fine after the entire front suspension/steering replacement. It's back to feeling tight and not as loose or clunky over bumps.

When I re-assembled the upper control arm/alignment cam bolts I not only cleaned up the chassis mounting points but also sprayed the bolts with Fluid Film hoping to help keep them from rusting/binding to the bushing sleeves, especially the front most bolts.

I marked the alignment tabs and measured the tie rods before disassembly, and put everything back as close as I could. It seems to drive/steer OK, but I plan on having the alignment checked.

Where's a good, reasonably priced place to have that done? The local shop two blocks from me wants like $225 to do an alignment. Seems pretty high.
I always take mine to Firestone. They have a 1-time price and a lifetime price. The lifetime price at the one near me when I was last there a few weeks ago was $199 after replacing my steering rack. I didn't have to pay because I already had the lifetime alignment on the truck I took there from when I did the front suspension back in 2019.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep