What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed air compressor today, rides waaaaay smoother.
Funny enough previous owner or shop put dorman shocks brand new but compressor was never replaced, very old and rusted.

Was also going to do plugs and wires, sounded like a 10min job like on my old f150.
Opened the hood, looked at #8 and back to amazon i was to order weird grips to try and get the plug boots out.
Such a weird design, why the boots have metal piece on them that gets stuck for life?
Do you need them when putting plugs back together?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im curious as to how high “about that much” is
I have seen it put out 15.5-16v all the way at the back of my truck thru 0 gauge to my amp, measured at the amp positive post
a lot of things can handle 24v because of tractors and trucks that use it, but it's not always documented.
14v is usually what things are spec'd at
10.8v is bare minimum as far as GM say's, below that things just do not work right.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed air compressor today, rides waaaaay smoother.
Funny enough previous owner or shop put dorman shocks brand new but compressor was never replaced, very old and rusted.

Was also going to do plugs and wires, sounded like a 10min job like on my old f150.
Opened the hood, looked at #8 and back to amazon i was to order weird grips to try and get the plug boots out.
Such a weird design, why the boots have metal piece on them that gets stuck for life?
Do you need them when putting plugs back together?
the metal shroud is to protect the wire from heat, the special pliers are made so that you can "maybe" manage to salvage the plug wires but they usually end up tearing anyway.
#8 is easy as any other just use a couple of short adapters and a cheater bar.

m1dn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the metal shroud is to protect the wire from heat, the special pliers are made so that you can "maybe" manage to salvage the plug wires but they usually end up tearing anyway.
#8 is easy as any other just use a couple of short adapters and a cheater bar.
Whats the recommended way on reaching the 8 to pull out the plug? With force and breakage of wire being okay, replacing them anyway
Couldn’t get my hand in there and it seemed to be sitting sooooo tight

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats the recommended way on reaching the 8 to pull out the plug? With force and breakage of wire being okay, replacing them anyway
I just use the spark plug socket, the end of that socket accepts another socket (not sure what mm just try a couple) and then I adapt that down a 1/4" ratchet and use a cheater bar on the end, my cheater bar is a piece of galvanized pipe, just slips right over.
all you need to do is break it free then you can usually take it out by hand. tightening back up just hand judge 12lbs or whatever the spec is

Last edited:

Doug118

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen it put out 15.5-16v all the way at the back of my truck thru 0 gauge to my amp, measured at the amp positive post
a lot of things can handle 24v because of tractors and trucks that use it, but it's not always documented.
14v is usually what things are spec'd at
10.8v is bare minimum as far as GM say's, below that things just do not work right.
There isn’t a single thing in these trucks that will handle 24v

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There isn’t a single thing in these trucks that will handle 24v
sure there is, you don't think the common idiot hasn't accidentally hooked a couple batteries up wrong and managed to not fry the entire vehicle.
I will say that people "have" jump started 12v vehicles with 24v, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also a lot of chip makers indicate 24v as "maximum" voltage
not saying hey run out and make this bad boy 24v lol but your starter would probably survive a quick 24v jump

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always twist my boots a quarter turn before pulling and haven’t broken a wire yet. Coarse I also use dielectric grease when I assemble them. I find a plug socket and a 3/4 extension takes em out no fuss…