What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids!

I wrote my first program on an IBM 1401.

It was the biggest one they made, 16K! At the time I thought, "who the heck is ever going to need 16K!"

No Internet, No Ethernet, no nettin'. :)
I did my first one on a commadore 64 in Basic! :D I should have ran with it at the time had I known where computers would be today

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my first one on a commadore 64 in Basic! :D I should have ran with it at the time had I known where computers would be today

I was still in the Mainframe world when the world started to change with PC’s. I was recruited to a “networking” company in the very early 80’s. After spending a day at the company, the guy recruiting me, who was also new to the networking company took me out to dinner and asked what I thought.

I said, “well George, all these guys I met today said there was going to be this global network and everyone would have a computer on their desk that would talk to each other over this global network and we would all communicate with electronic mail...”. George said, “yeah, yeah, I know, pretty exciting right?” I said, “yeah, but, none of that is going to happen.”

He hired me anyway, it was a pretty lucky job change, dumb luck actually. The guys I worked around pretty much were the guys who invented the Internet, contrary to popular belief that Al Gore did it.

Some of the smartest guys I ever met, but maddening to be around. They would sit around and debate how to build a protocol that could scale up to world wide use and not break. Likely why the Internet is so reliable today, because of those guys endlessly debating what the best way to do it might be.

After getting that job, I always felt kind of like Chauncey Gardener.

PS - One of the brightest engineers there at the time was a graduate of GM Institute. I never realized how great that place was until I met that guy.

Reaction score
I wish I had the commadore 64 back then, but I only had the Vic-20, and I still have it with the original box on a shelf in my basement, and the datasette recorder (not disk drive, but cassette tape drive).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and almost forgot, I ran the Yukon through the car wash twice today. It was so muddy, it looked like one of those prototypes the manufacturers cover up to hide the new body design.

Hopefully will have time tomorrow to install all four of the O2 sensors that just arrived from Rock Auto.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and almost forgot, I ran the Yukon through the car wash twice today. It was so muddy, it looked like one of those prototypes the manufacturers cover up to hide the new body design.

Hopefully will have time tomorrow to install all four of the O2 sensors that just arrived from Rock Auto.
Hopefully they don’t pull an @Tonyrodz on you...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518