What did you do to your NNBS GMT900 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem.. 285/45. It’s the common size so they’re also cheap. That’s another downside to 24” wheels. Tires are expensive

the_tool_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my Yukon on a road trip to Dirty Myrtle and back this weekend (~500 miles round trip). On the way down, I was stuck in a pretty major line of thunderstorms that dogged me all the way (had a tornado hit Spartanburg right before we left). Lots of wind and heavy rain for nearly 5 hours. But she ate up the miles like it was nothing. Love the AWD sure-footedness. And we rode in comfort, with plenty of room for the grand kids and their gear. Cruised at an undisclosed speed all the way back, making the trip in record time. With the cracked dash and other build quality issues, it's easy to forget how great this truck really is overall. But she reminded me why I got her.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the cracked dash and other build quality issues, it's easy to forget how great this truck really is overall. But she reminded me why I got her.
I hugged mine saturday when I got home after picking up the wifes ram thats been at the stealership since christmas with brake failure. My old gal has some quirks, but the fin brakes work everytime cant say that for that ram....

Yep, these are really good trucks, currently looking for her a yukon to get out of this ram that she "had" to have. Ive been in some crazy weather with mine too, high cross winds kinda suck but she stays planted, 3' of water during floods no prob, just a freaking trooper of a truck.... Drove a 17 the other day and yeah the direct injection motor deff is a bit more peppy, but Ill take the dependability of our gals any day...

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Drove over some road debris on the freeway yesterday. Retread carcass I think. Was dark and didn’t see it in time. Didnt really feel anything buuuuuf I’ve had a cracking and popping sound over small bumps. Didnt see anything in the front last night but crawled up under the back and seen this. Why the hell is it wet I ask myself? I’m gonna pull the fill plug and pray theres fresh fluid in it. Im worried because the paint on the cover is coming off that its gotten damn hot.

57B26846-CCBE-4DAF-8233-04AA5F3F8F2B.jpeg

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
We’re good! Pulled fill plug and its full still. Dont see any glitter in it either. I guess the gasket just seeps. Im gonna check all the bolts for tightness and go to bed. Im so glad I don’t need a new axle for this thing. *knock on wood*

edit: as i’m sure everybody can guess, the bolts on the wet side were loose. Like, they were basically finger tight. Which is weird, because when I changed the fluid 6 months ago I reefed them down as tight as I could get them. Oh well. No harm done. I guess thats what loctite is for.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’re good! Pulled fill plug and its full still. Dont see any glitter in it either. I guess the gasket just seeps. Im gonna check all the bolts for tightness and go to bed. Im so glad I don’t need a new axle for this thing. *knock on wood*

edit: as i’m sure everybody can guess, the bolts on the wet side were loose. Like, they were basically finger tight. Which is weird, because when I changed the fluid 6 months ago I reefed them down as tight as I could get them. Oh well. No harm done. I guess thats what loctite is for.

Checked the pinion seal too?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drove over some road debris on the freeway yesterday. Retread carcass I think. Was dark and didn’t see it in time. Didnt really feel anything buuuuuf I’ve had a cracking and popping sound over small bumps. Didnt see anything in the front last night but crawled up under the back and seen this. Why the hell is it wet I ask myself? I’m gonna pull the fill plug and pray theres fresh fluid in it. Im worried because the paint on the cover is coming off that its gotten damn hot.

View attachment 240390
this is why I have made it a habit to get a flashlight and inspect under the truck and under the hood about once a month, I drive her kind of hard so I need to catch things like this as early as possible. I check all the seals and bushings, all the suspension parts, brake calipers, u-joints. under the hood I look for leaks or rubbing hoses or wires, check my tires for nails or screws. Anytime I have it jacked up I check the wheel hubs, if I take it to have the tires rotated (since it's free) I take the opportunity to check stuff up close then also.

R3cord303

Posse In Effect
Reaction score
Checked the pinion seal too?
Negative. Tightening the bolts shoved more oil out so I think I’m good especially with the oil inside looking good. I’m gonna have to leave and come back even at this ungodly hour here in a bit so i’ll take a good look at it.

i’m sure the creaking/popping noise may have something to do with the 237,000 mile rear spring perches or the 200whatever thousand mile cv shafts maybe.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative. Tightening the bolts shoved more oil out so I think I’m good especially with the oil inside looking good. I’m gonna have to leave and come back even at this ungodly hour here in a bit so i’ll take a good look at it.

i’m sure the creaking/popping noise may have something to do with the 237,000 mile rear spring perches or the 200whatever thousand mile cv shafts maybe.

Since you are in a place that gets big temp swings, The time of year you put it together makes a difference also on those cover gaskets.. tightening things up was probably in order for quite a while now. Glad its not a full tear down....

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my Yukon on a road trip to Dirty Myrtle and back this weekend (~500 miles round trip). On the way down, I was stuck in a pretty major line of thunderstorms that dogged me all the way (had a tornado hit Spartanburg right before we left). Lots of wind and heavy rain for nearly 5 hours. But she ate up the miles like it was nothing. Love the AWD sure-footedness. And we rode in comfort, with plenty of room for the grand kids and their gear. Cruised at an undisclosed speed all the way back, making the trip in record time. With the cracked dash and other build quality issues, it's easy to forget how great this truck really is overall. But she reminded me why I got her.

Get the dashskin--- will make you forget the dash crack...

IMG_3662.jpg