What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Colorado update!

Yesterday evening we drove south and hit Geneva Creek(?). We found a mild trail on AllTrails listed "Geneva Creek Iron Fens", and we hit it about 5.30.

It had snowed up there about 4 inches already when we started up and it was a gorgeous drive. A ways up the trail we saw the biggest coyote I've ever seen, and the clearest view I've ever seen of one alive in the wild. There were tracks in the snow that looked like a pack was likely close. You can see part of the tracks in the first picture.

We made it *almost* to 10,000 feet when the snow started up again and pretty strong. 5 minutes further up the trail we would've made it, but at 9,950 feet we turned around. It was only about 30 degrees, but the missus was nervous about spending the night on the mountain and it was about half an hour from being dark. Definitely somewhere I'd want to revisit next time we're in the state.

We're back on the road towards home today. We've almost crossed Kansas ("The Long Flat"). A weird place for a fella who grew up in the mountains. The windmills fill me with a weird anxiety in my chest. Too much rotating mass, I think. We're gonna drive a few more hours and then hunker down at a rest stop for the night.
jO0gyIm.jpg

WrmMkhy.jpg

EZtQUss.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Final Colorado update!

Yesterday evening we drove south and hit Geneva Creek(?). We found a mild trail on AllTrails listed "Geneva Creek Iron Fens", and we hit it about 5.30.

It had snowed up there about 4 inches already when we started up and it was a gorgeous drive. A ways up the trail we saw the biggest coyote I've ever seen, and the clearest view I've ever seen of one alive in the wild. There were tracks in the snow that looked like a pack was likely close. You can see part of the tracks in the first picture.

We made it *almost* to 10,000 feet when the snow started up again and pretty strong. 5 minutes further up the trail we would've made it, but at 9,950 feet we turned around. It was only about 30 degrees, but the missus was nervous about spending the night on the mountain and it was about half an hour from being dark. Definitely somewhere I'd want to revisit next time we're in the state.

We're back on the road towards home today. We've almost crossed Kansas ("The Long Flat"). A weird place for a fella who grew up in the mountains. The windmills fill me with a weird anxiety in my chest. Too much rotating mass, I think. We're gonna drive a few more hours and then hunker down at a rest stop for the night.
View attachment 352678

View attachment 352679

View attachment 352680

Sweet. So up off of Guanella Pass -- did you connect from the Georgetown (I-70) or Grant (US 285) side?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final Colorado update!

View attachment 352678

View attachment 352679

View attachment 352680
Yeah better to get out while you can. There’s always people around here that stay too long up one of those roads in the Cascades after the snow starts and end up getting stuck and then that’s that unless they get lucky and a search party finds them before it snows another 15 feet on top of them.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah better to get out while you can. There’s always people around here that stay too long up one of those roads in the Cascades after the snow starts and end up getting stuck and then that’s that unless they get lucky and a search party finds them before it snows another 15 feet on top of them.
Amen. Good to know when to turn around. Years ago I went up on a peak with a few friends. All with extremely capable Jeep’s. Lockers, winches, 35”-40” tires… All the goods. We ended up on the mountain for 12 hours, winching each other forward. At the end of the day, my buddy’s built 9” rear was toast. We had to drive that sucker down I-70 with only FWD, and a locker..! It was pretty harrowing. If we hadn’t been “prepared”, we’d all have been stuck on the mountain in 3+’ of fresh snow. We actually would have turned around but the trail we were on was only wide enough for one vehicle, and a couple thousand foot drop off the side of the mountain.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. So up off of Guanella Pass -- did you connect from the Georgetown (I-70) or Grant (US 285) side?

I had to look back at the map to confirm, but yep. That's the way we went.

We were definitely playing it on the safe side since it's an unfamiliar area. There were a couple other sets of folks staying up there. One jeep that looked like it had been up there at least a couple days, no signs of folks around it. The other was a guy in a Subaru that looked like a local, and he looked like he had a really nice setup.

If you ever want to watch interesting high altitude recovery videos, check out the YouTube channel for this non-profit group. They seem like a class act, just search for "Colorado 4x4 Rescue and Recovery".

Certainly will, thanks!

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen. Good to know when to turn around. Years ago I went up on a peak with a few friends. All with extremely capable Jeep’s. Lockers, winches, 35”-40” tires… All the goods. We ended up on the mountain for 12 hours, winching each other forward. At the end of the day, my buddy’s built 9” rear was toast. We had to drive that sucker down I-70 with only FWD, and a locker..! It was pretty harrowing. If we hadn’t been “prepared”, we’d all have been stuck on the mountain in 3+’ of fresh snow. We actually would have turned around but the trail we were on was only wide enough for one vehicle, and a couple thousand foot drop off the side of the mountain.

That was another consideration. We had just started into a more narrow section of trail when the snow started again. We considered driving to the next good turning point, but didn't know how far it would be. We ended up backing about 300' back down the trail to a spot just open enough for us to back up into with some momentum.