What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I fixed my no crank issue, found a spot on the wiring harness under the hood that’s been rubbing on a coil. It just happened to wear through both the ground and crank voltage wires for the starter relay. It wasn’t even really noticeable, I just saw the harness laying on the coil so I lifted it up and used a mirror to look under there. Starts right up now.

Good diag and fix!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spotted a Z71 Suburban in the junkyard yesterday. I'm seriously thinking about buying the roof rack from it for the sheer fact that the Z71's have that roller on the back of it. It's like a long rolling pin, it tremendously helps when loading large or heavy items like lumber up onto the roof rack.
Most people want an Escalade roof rack just for the bling factor. But I sometimes actually use my roof rack to transport radders and lumber.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So before I do my 2500hd grill conversion I am looking at this chrome plastic and thinking I should take the time to paint it black first.
Any tips on how to de-chrome the plastic? I see some say use a bleach/water soaking mixture, or use oven cleaner, or just etching primer.
Anyone have really good long lasting results with a simple method?
My son used matte (or semi-gloss) black Plasti-Dip on his Tacoma.
It was chrome on plastic.
Wiped down with WD-40 to get bugs and tar off.
Washed with Dawn dish soap to get the WD-40 off and degrease.
Air-dried in the sun.
Applied 3 or 4 LIGHT coats until he had full coverage.

That was last year sometime.
He was really happy with it.

Still looks great! I agree.

I was toying with the idea of doing my chrome grille on my 04 Tahoe. It is a Z71 and supposed to have monochrome color matching the Arctic White body.
I swapped free for the grille and black might look good.
I might at least do the bow-tie and leave the chrome. That might look good too.

I'll wait for warm weather before I touch anything anyway... Just thoughts right now. Thoughts that could change at any moment...

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spotted a Z71 Suburban in the junkyard yesterday. I'm seriously thinking about buying the roof rack from it for the sheer fact that the Z71's have that roller on the back of it. It's like a long rolling pin, it tremendously helps when loading large or heavy items like lumber up onto the roof rack.
Most people want an Escalade roof rack just for the bling factor. But I sometimes actually use my roof rack to transport radders and lumber.
A PO was looking for a low-rider look and did the Z71 roof rack delete. Either that or they sold it for money. Either way it was gone.
A member had one at his home in FL and was a nice guy to drive it all the way to his home in CT, so I could buy it from him and not pay $300 to ship it.

I got my rack. With the roller. I feel much better now...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
So before I do my 2500hd grill conversion I am looking at this chrome plastic and thinking I should take the time to paint it black first.
Any tips on how to de-chrome the plastic? I see some say use a bleach/water soaking mixture, or use oven cleaner, or just etching primer.
I also dipped mine.20190824_080816.jpg20190817_122711.jpg
@Rocket Man attempted to do a chrome delete on a grill, iirc he peeled it off.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing works to remove the chrome without destroying the plastic. Best method is to just sand it to rough it up a bit and use etching primer. I tried every method mentioned including muriatic acid which works over several days but you have to have a tank big enough to submerge the grill. I used that on small pieces. Nothing else touches it except a heat gun but that only worked on parts of the grill for me, and I ended up melting it anyway so I tossed that grill and bought another, then had a body shop paint it. They sanded/ scuffed and used etching primer.
I also dipped mine.View attachment 393887View attachment 393888
@Rocket Man attempted to do a chrome delete on a grill, iirc he peeled it off.
Didn’t work. See above lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What yard? Just curious. In my travels, I've found myself at Pipes on Aero Dr.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
He plugged it back in, no el starto. He’s gonna call Compustar and see if there’s some reset procedure. I’m thinking it sensed someone tampering with the alarm and disabled the starter. It has remote start so I’m assuming it has ignition kill. The fob turns the alarm on and off but the truck won’t start.
Have him check the starter wire at the steering column for power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gudmat