What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was on I-25 with my 06 Sierra Denali, and it has started this scary vibration type feel at speeds over 70mph. I can only describe it as driving over washboard trails, but at highway speeds. I have Bilstein shocks all around, could it be weak torsion bars?
Was the vibration coming through the steering wheel or through your seat?

Have you checked your tires to rule out any obvious signs of a tire issue? Any signs of throwing a wheel weight?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Would an out of balance driveshaft cause the wobble? I know those weights can sometimes(rarely)fall off.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point @tom3 . I guess I was just surprised by the fact that the alternator being bad was not discovered when the curbside charging/battery diagnostics were done.

Last time I went in for a known battery issue, the tester that Advance Auto used walked through battery and alternator testing with everything on and running and again with everything off. Still tested alternator, even though I wasn't even there for the alternator. Test confirmed battery failing, but alternator still good.

I suppose maybe an inexperienced parts guy making minimum wage... there is a chance something got overlooked.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would an out of balance driveshaft cause the wobble? I know those weights can sometimes(rarely)fall off.
A driveshaft is 'dead center' underneath... I would assume it would cause a vibration or a knock, not a wobble?
On my old '88 C2500 truck, I had a bad u-joint... I swear, my whole drivetrain was going to blow up!!
( Then happy to find it was just the seized up joint)

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking this as well. I’m definitely hanging in to the battery, as it seems to be charging fine on the maintainer.. either way, happy to have both of these parts “new” before my drive to Tx..!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
death wobble, its not just for Jeeps! OK, may not be but sounds familiar..... #1 c

death wobble, its not just for Jeeps! OK, may not be but sounds familiar..... #1 cause of DW is tire balance
In Jeeps, true "Death Wobble" is most frequently caused by worn out connections on track bar (the bolt holes get sloppy) or worn out drag link connections in the steering (drag links or pitman arms). Not always, but these are the main culprits most of the time on high mileage Jeeps.

You could run fine around town, but all it would take is a big crack in the road or a bump to send the whole front end into a wobble that will shake the front end and steering wheel so bad you have to slow down or pull over to make it stop. You could be fine at high speed, on a perfect road, then hit one expansion joint on a bridge and all heck breaks loose up front.

Out of balance tires can cause wobble at different speeds, especially oversize off-road tires.
Sometimes the shimmy/shake, if tire or wheel related will go away if you go faster.

Jeep DW issues mostly came back to front end steering or suspension components being worn out where things attach.

Not sure how any of the torsion bar set-up we have plays into this. I'm still new to GM platform.

First thing I would try is moving front tires to the back to see if that makes the problem go away.

Jack the front end off the ground and start tugging, pushing and pulling the wheels. Pull and push on the sides, top and bottom. Every which way to see if you see, hear or feel something wiggling that shouldn't be. Spin them to see if you feel any grinding/dragging or hear any noises from the hub.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98