What did you do to your NBS GMT800 Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn lucky and glad all is ok with the gf and Tahoe.

Truth, rain and loss of traction can end up badly. I've had a few close calls myself over the years, and they only made me be more aware of my driving style. Like they say, You learn from your mistakes.

I wish this morning was a close call or a near miss. But sadly, this morning l had my first accident in the Burban after owning it for over 12 years now. It was raining heavily, and a Honda CR-V locked up her brakes in front of me on the Interstate. I slammed on my brakes, but the big ass Suburban just couldn't stop in time. I'm sure the rain didn't help me stop any faster. The hit didn't even feel all that hard, I assumed I would maybe have a dent in my bumper. But after I pulled over and exited my truck, I was shocked at the damage, and to see the transmission fluid just "bleeding" all over the place. From a monetary standpoint, I am quite sure it's totaled. Will that stop me from fixing her up again? Hell no it won't. I'm sure I will have the transmission fluid cooler replaced before the end of the week and have it at least drive-able again, but as far as getting a new hood and bumper, I have no idea yet.

IMG_20180910_091859052.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Truth, rain and loss of traction can end up badly. I've had a few close calls myself over the years, and they only made me be more aware of my driving style. Like they say, You learn from your mistakes.

I wish this morning was a close call or a near miss. But sadly, this morning l had my first accident in the Burban after owning it for over 12 years now. It was raining heavily, and a Honda CR-V locked up her brakes in front of me on the Interstate. I slammed on my brakes, but the big ass Suburban just couldn't stop in time. I'm sure the rain didn't help me stop any faster. The hit didn't even feel all that hard, I assumed I would maybe have a dent in my bumper. But after I pulled over and exited my truck, I was shocked at the damage, and to see the transmission fluid just "bleeding" all over the place. From a monetary standpoint, I am quite sure it's totaled. Will that stop me from fixing her up again? Hell no it won't. I'm sure I will have the transmission fluid cooler replaced before the end of the week and have it at least drive-able again, but as far as getting a new hood and bumper, I have no idea yet.

View attachment 207024
That totally sux! BUT--stock hoods and bumpers are readily available in the yards--fairly cheap. Gotta check your bumper supports, they might've bent some. Glad everyone was ok. Could've been so much worse! I assume your airbag didn't go off.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 207024

Ah man sorry to hear that but glad nobody is hurt.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, the airbags didn't deploy. I didn't have time to inspect it any further, but as far as I know, the transmission cooler and lines are busted, I won't know more until I get the grill and bumper off. I hope the AC condenser isn't damaged. I actually already have a 2500HD grill and bumper cap that I was planning on getting color matched and then install it, looks like I am definitely going to have to install them now, lol. Now I need to find a HD hood. I'll be damned if I fork out the money for a stock 1500 hood, if I have to buy a hood then I might as well get a HD hood. Looks like in addition to the grill and bumper cap that I already have, I need an actual bumper, a hood, a new headlight, new parking lights, and then whatever is damaged behind the grill and bumper. I have to see about the frame horns and radiator support and stuff. I will mess with it tomorrow afternoon when I get home from school if it isn't raining. IMG_20180910_091907328.jpg IMG_20180910_091915537.jpg

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lady I hit didn't have any passengers, and she said she wasn't hurt, so I guess that's a plus. And she did admit to the police officer that she slammed on her brakes really fast, because the car in front of her stopped really quick. I guess I should have given myself more room to stop being that it was raining. But I was a good two car legnths behind her when I slammed on the brakes, even with the NNBS brakes on it I just couldn't get the big ass Burban stopped fast enough. I think I just barely avoided deploying the airbags as well. I know the sensors are right behind where the bumper is pushed back, I guess I narrowly avoided it. So no injuries, and no airbags deployed. Hell, if the transmission fluid wasn't spewing everywhere then I would have even driven it home, but I had it towed to avoid damaging the transmission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shit. I just got home and started inspecting the damage and it's a lot worse than I thought. :( The actual core support is pushed back about 2 inches. That also has the driver's side fender pushed back 2 inches as well. It's rubbing on the driver's door, and it's bowed out along the top where it meets the hood. So it's that much MORE shit I will have to fix. :(
Getting all that pulled and lined up properly will be a bit more than I can do in my driveway, so I will probably need to have that part done at a body shop.

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, no better time than now to install this, apparently I over torqued the oem bolt and it worked it's way out. What I thought was the cheap torque wrench indicating it was right was the bolt breaking lol

This came in the mail a day late, but glad it sprung a leak in my office parking lot not on the road

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts