What did you do to your 2015-2020 K2XX Tahoe/Yukon Today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynxnova

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last weekend here. Headed back out to Louisiana this week. Made good progress overall. Very productive weekend. My buddy and I worked on cosmetics for a good part of the day today.

I was able to put a small dent on the list of mods for the Escalade but ran out of time to work on the rest of the toys.

View attachment 230227 View attachment 230229 View attachment 230230 View attachment 230231 View attachment 230232
Hey staggered, that looks great! I how did you prep the pieces for paint? I only asked because I was told the the pieces couldn’t be wet sanded or buffed for prep because the chrome pieces are to small and would burn through. [emoji2369]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex. No sir, not that thin. The grille and moldings are hard plastic with an aluminized finish. All parts were sanded prepared, surfaces cleaned then sprayed with an etchant promoter, primered, painted, then cleared.

It could be done. Just takes time.

IMG_0986001.jpg View attachment 230476

lynxnova

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex. No sir, not that thin. The grille and moldings are hard plastic with an aluminized finish. All parts were sanded prepared, surfaces cleaned then sprayed with an etchant promoter, primered, painted, then cleared.

View attachment 230475 View attachment 230476
Thanks for the info, I guess no one around here likes to work for their money

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed the passenger side brake light on my '17 Yukon XL Denali.
My old '90 'Burb would have been a $2 bulb, but noooooooooo, this one is a $500 assembly!
I read that it is usually just a broken LED interconnect strip, so I cracked it open and sure enough, a little cleanup and solder and it was working.
Sure wish I would have watch the video of how to reach it from the back side without having to take the lens off! Oh well, it is fixed and I didn't have to buy anything.

If you have them time, would you mind posting a link to that video in the tech section? It seems this is a common problem and would help others in the future (possibly even myself).

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I guess no one around here likes to work for their money

Your welcome. It's one of those "time is money" frame of minds I guess. The work takes time and is tedious but so well worth it in the end. A lot of people and shops don't like or want to do that. Some that do are hit or miss. Every now and then you find one or a guy that is more than capable, willing, and able. Good luck.

Thanks.

lynxnova

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 230475 View attachment 230476
Hello staggered, did you have to remove the bumper to remove the grill? Also is there a link or video that shows how to remove the grill?

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello staggered, did you have to remove the bumper to remove the grill? Also is there a link or video that shows how to remove the grill?

Hi Alex,

Yes sir, the entire bumper has to come off in order to remove and replace the grill. In addition to that the grill a piece behind it that needs to be pulled apart and small aluminum tabs removed in order to take the grill apart. No link or video that I am aware of. My buddy and I did it a week ago Sunday. It is a bit more involved than when I removed and color matched he grill on the 2005 Escalade or the 2002 Silverado for that matter.

IMG_0990.jpg 20190908_130920.jpg

lynxnova

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

Yes sir, the entire bumper has to come off in order to remove and replace the grill. In addition to that the grill a piece behind it that needs to be pulled apart and small aluminum tabs removed in order to take the grill apart. No link or video that I am aware of. My buddy and I did it a week ago Sunday. It is a bit more involved than when I removed and color matched he grill on the 2005 Escalade or the 2002 Silverado for that matter.

View attachment 230820 View attachment 230821
Oh boy! That is a lot just to remove a grill. Thanks man I will try to paint it without removing the grill and see how that works out.

Staggered 02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The upper piece attached to the hood is easy to remove and install. Painting in place is likely to be a challenge as you might end up with tape lines or paint runs. I typically buy replacement parts and get them color matched. This way all I have to do is remove and replace all at the same time. In the case of the grill and the degree of effort, it made the best sense.

Were you thinking about color matching the part of the grill between the Al finished frames as well? Good luck and have fun with the mod effort(s).

20190828_182456.jpg