what causes my battery to drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TunasTwins

2005 Tahoe LS
Reaction score
Looking to tackle this as well in my '05. When my wife was in Europe over the winter, I wasn't driving my **. Six weeks later I go to start it and had to get my new battery replaced (free/autozone). I've also had issues talking to the pcm with different devices and was ready to replace and reprogram the pcm. Somehow my superchips tuner woke it up. ******* electrical gremlins!

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without good ground, you can have all kinds of weird things happen.

On my 04... I had my radio stay on after it should have shut off (with key off and door opens). It was also glitching out randomly.

I cleaned the contact patch, bolt and washer where the driver's side A pillar lines up on the frame.
Has been good since.

Bad ground, corrosion inside wires can cause the BCM to no put things like HVAC, etc., to "sleep" after the programmed time. If stuff stays "awake"... slowly drains the battery, but you would never know it was happening until you tried to start it up.

Check, clean, tighten.
All ground connections to start...
Also inspect, clean and tighten all battery clamps/terminals and look at cable condition.

I had an 05 Jeep TJ that had corrosion inside the positive cable from the battery to the starter. Invisible from the outside, but the inside braid was black, green and everything but copper colored. New cable was needed.

Start with grounds and connections first. That usually takes care of many electrical problems and a little less likely than corrosion inside the cables.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking to tackle this as well in my '05. When my wife was in Europe over the winter, I wasn't driving my **. Six weeks later I go to start it and had to get my new battery replaced (free/autozone). I've also had issues talking to the pcm with different devices and was ready to replace and reprogram the pcm. Somehow my superchips tuner woke it up. ******* electrical gremlins!

Pull the PCM connectors off and look for water migration, pin cleanliness and fitment.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my story with my new yukon denaliy 2022 I bought the car last december 2022:

First day in the showroom to receive my car at the showroom it was not start ! Its completly shock to me and the jumb start the car and working fine but I refuse to take the car until full check again. Second the told the battey was dead and they replace the battery and they said its happening sometime. After a month i am not using the car everyday but i was turn on the car through the remote start for 10 min and auto turn off, usually i do this 2 time per week without moving the car after that again same probleme happing the car not start I jumb start the car but shows light engine is on. I took the car second day to delearshop and they check the car for 2 day and change the battery and said not use the remote start until we got a fix from GM. I was travel for a week and just now at this a moment i came back and the car not start ! Only one week I left the car and I jumb start the car its working but the engine light is on and the heade up display is not working ! So 2moro I will take my car again to the dealership and they will change i think for the third time the battey !

Regards,

Yusuf Yateem
I would guess your issue is not likely to be three bad batteries. You have other electrical issues going on.

This should probably get moved to the correct area of the forum for your 2022 Denali. Not because nobody would help you here, if they could... Just better to have responses to your post collect in the right area, so others with similar late-model trucks will find what gets discussed a little easier. They won't necessarily be looking for answers to their problems in this section for old trucks.

Good luck! I hope you find a fix for your issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts