What are the best plugs and wires for the 5.3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo Rocket Man ....so what did you find out about the spark plug heat ranges ? I was looking to drop down one range on the first plug change.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yo Rocket Man ....so what did you find out about the spark plug heat ranges ? I was looking to drop down one range on the first plug change.
Stock is NGK TR5, Whipple said to use TR7 which is 2 heat ranges colder but Blackbear said TR6 and TR7 is too cold. I'm running the 6's. If your NA though I don't think you want to drop a heat range. Why are you considering it?

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually drop at least one heat range on most of my vehicles engines. On this stocker I figured one heat range would be fine. But I have seen on some esp. stockers the stock plugs are fine.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually drop at least one heat range on most of my vehicles engines. On this stocker I figured one heat range would be fine. But I have seen on some esp. stockers the stock plugs are fine.
Why would you do that to a N/A engine though? It's usually done for built either engines with higher than stock compression or F/I engines like mine so there's no knocking. I don't know of any benefit for a stock engine and possibly the opposite.

DesertRat

Reaction score
The originals. 19206447 / 748UU for wires and 12609877 / 41-985 (superseded now by 41-110).

Hey all, I'm looking for clarification on this. ACDelco's website has 748RR listed as replacement wires for an 07 5.3 FF Tahoe. What's the difference between RR's and UU's? Also, does anyone have any input on Denso (6718161) wires? They're $25 less than ACDelco 748rr's on rockauto.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Curious to see the conclusion of this discussion, need to do my plugs and wires soon too. In slightly unrelated news, this video is pretty interesting related to spark plugs and changing heat ranges.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious to see the conclusion of this discussion, need to do my plugs and wires soon too. In slightly unrelated news, this video is pretty interesting related to spark plugs and changing heat ranges.

Good video. That explains why you don't want to change heat ranges unless there's a reason to. Someone running a range colder on a stock engine will probably be fouling plugs or changing them sooner and if you go hotter you might be damaging the engine from predetonation. When I installed my blower, Whipple had recommended 2 heat ranges lower than stock but it wasn't running smooth and BlackBear recommended going one heat range lower instead of 2. That did the trick. It runs great and no fouling or detonation.