What are my power adding options except SC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kiwi

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Planning to add some power to my 6.2 8sp hippo, what can i do with a reasonable budget of $2-3k before adding Whipple?
CAI installed, BB tuned, 1 7/8 headers and cat-back are in progress and will be installed.

I'd very appreciate if you can link some exact products cuz i don't know much about hardware tuning and there's absolutely no tuner shops here where i live.

Read about some ported heads, cams upgrade, but can't choose any appropriate hardware to order.

Thanks in advance!

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would call a reputable shop like Brian Tooley Raceing or Texas speed and performance. They can spec you a cam that will work well with the current setup and be boost friendly with the Whipple. Both also sell everything you need to swap the cam and are extremely friendly and helpful.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe consider adding a ported throttle body and 160 Degree T Stat to that Header and cat-back exhaust install.

These are just quick links that came up through google since you asked for reference links to parts, there are plenty of options out there though.

https://www.cspracing.com/brian-tooley-160-degree-thermostat-gen-v-lt1-lt4-engines/sd160lt1/

https://store.katechengines.com/lt1lt4l86l87-cnc-ported-throttle-body-p487.aspx

There's also some decent bolt-on mod info on www.gm-trucks.com , though it's more for the full size trucks they're modding the same drivetrain we have.

Most guys with the 6.2 L86 and 8-Speed transmission are adding about + 45 WHP and + 45 WTQ with Headers, Catted Y-Pipe, Cat-back, CAI, Ported Throttle Body and 160 T Stat and a tune.

If you have $2-$3K to spend and want to do something without full on supercharger I would definitely consider a nice set of heads and a cam. Something suitable for a bolt-on truck now but able to accommodate the supercharger once that gets installed down the road. I have no recommendations for these as there are endless options, but just select a vendor for the heads and cam and communicate to them what your goals are and you should be able to get set up with a affective option in your price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts