Went to the track

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
JDopirak

JDopirak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you tackled and solved the problem Joe! Congrats on the bun in the oven too! As for the Yukon, get rid of the Forester and get another Yukon! They are made for commuting! Sure, they do not get 30 mpg but they are far more comfortable and FAR more safe to drive. That alone is worth the additional fuel expense in my house and has been for thirty years. We have all been seriously injured in car accidents from driving small cars to "save money on gas", never again.

So now after a little research I think I may have to change my exhaust from single 2.75 to either single 3inch or dual 2.5 inch because I'll be pushing 350ish whp according to my tuner. There was an article in hot rod and for 300+hp I'll need the piping stated above.
Glad to hear that you tackled and solved the problem Joe! Congrats on the bun in the oven too! As for the Yukon, get rid of the Forester and get another Yukon! They are made for commuting! Sure, they do not get 30 mpg but they are far more comfortable and FAR more safe to drive. That alone is worth the additional fuel expense in my house and has been for thirty years. We have all been seriously injured in car accidents from driving small cars to "save money on gas", never again.

After a little research I think I may have to change my exhaust from 2.75 inch single to either 3inch single or 2.5 dual according to an exhaust vs horsepower article on HotRod magazine's website. Because I'll be pushing 350ish whp according to my tuner.

What is your opinion on this?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now after a little research I think I may have to change my exhaust from single 2.75 to either single 3inch or dual 2.5 inch because I'll be pushing 350ish whp according to my tuner. There was an article in hot rod and for 300+hp I'll need the piping stated above.

After a little research I think I may have to change my exhaust from 2.75 inch single to either 3inch single or 2.5 dual according to an exhaust vs horsepower article on HotRod magazine's website. Because I'll be pushing 350ish whp according to my tuner.

What is your opinion on this?

Borderline whether you'd need it or not. The 6.0 and 6.2 exhaust systems are of a slightly different size and configuration though compared with the 5.3. Too big with too little power and you'll lose bottom end torque from the scavenging effect being disrupted.

Here's one I read about and liked before and there's another one out there that pretty good by Gibson or JB Headers: https://www.silveradosierra.com/exhaust/the-back-pressure-myth-t154481.html

OP
OP
JDopirak

JDopirak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borderline whether you'd need it or not. The 6.0 and 6.2 exhaust systems are of a slightly different size and configuration though compared with the 5.3. Too big with too little power and you'll lose bottom end torque from the scavenging effect being disrupted.

Here's one I read about and liked before and there's another one out there that pretty good by Gibson or JB Headers: https://www.silveradosierra.com/exhaust/the-back-pressure-myth-t154481.html

This is becoming very frustrating build. Now I keep going back and forth about getting long tubes with a ypipe plus a 3" catback. Problem is currently with my ceramic coated gibson shortys stock ypipe, magmaflow muffler and slp resonator delete it's pretty much perfect as far as noise. It could be a little louder aka punch out third cat. There is zero drone and it's not stupid loud. Its wife approved currently.

But after this build I'm doing in February I'm done. I dont want to touch it other than maintenance. With that being said If I wanna squeeze put every pony I can. I really should change whole system. But I dont want drone, I dont want the smell of catless ypipe, Its every bit of $1700 for long tubes with catted ypipe and I just dont know if that's worth the hp gain vs noise. I cant seem to find any videos of long tubes catted or none catted ypipe going into 3" magnaflow muffler to hear what it sounds like. Any experience with my current issue?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is becoming very frustrating build. Now I keep going back and forth about getting long tubes with a ypipe plus a 3" catback. Problem is currently with my ceramic coated gibson shortys stock ypipe, magmaflow muffler and slp resonator delete it's pretty much perfect as far as noise. It could be a little louder aka punch out third cat. There is zero drone and it's not stupid loud. Its wife approved currently.

But after this build I'm doing in February I'm done. I dont want to touch it other than maintenance. With that being said If I wanna squeeze put every pony I can. I really should change whole system. But I dont want drone, I dont want the smell of catless ypipe, Its every bit of $1700 for long tubes with catted ypipe and I just dont know if that's worth the hp gain vs noise. I cant seem to find any videos of long tubes catted or none catted ypipe going into 3" magnaflow muffler to hear what it sounds like. Any experience with my current issue?

Not me but some of the guys on here have those long tubes with cats on them. I forget the names at the moment but a diligent search should reveal them.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone do a comparison run with stabilitrak on, then off ? Just wondering if wheel spin with it off would equal the slow power ramp in with it on, sure is annoying when trying to burn some rubber...lol

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone do a comparison run with stabilitrak on, then off ? Just wondering if wheel spin with it off would equal the slow power ramp in with it on, sure is annoying when trying to burn some rubber...lol
You get that hood painted yet???

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get that hood painted yet???

No, but everything is ready now, I had removed the deck off my house and the car trailer was a convenient place to stack those 15ft long planks, which inadvertently made the trailer useless to use to drop the Tahoe off at the paint shop. So finally this weekend a guy came (after stringing me along) and got the lumber using a minivan of all things, today I gave it a handwash so they can read the paint to match the new hood to it. I plan on getting that done this week as long as the painter has an opening and is willing to still do it.

20200705_192202.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It was good for two tenths one night. But with the way the locker works, it takes wheel spin to lock it up and wheel spin equals a loss in ET. So the next few times out just launched at a lower RPM and got better still ETs. Fifteen hundred rpms versus 2000. Next time I'll take Tom's @gooffeyguy advice and launch off idle.

Peacock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was good for two tenths one night. But with the way the locker works, it takes wheel spin to lock it up and wheel spin equals a loss in ET. So the next few times out just launched at a lower RPM and got better still ETs. Fifteen hundred rpms versus 2000. Next time I'll take Tom's @gooffeyguy advice and launch off idle.

So you left the traction control on but took the stabilitrak off ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs