Went to a drive in theater in my Tahoe...big mistake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMaineEvent

Reaction score
So I went to see The Lion King this weekend at a drive in theater in my 2017 Tahoe this weekend. I thought it would be great given the sound system, comfort, and big windshield to watch the movie. Wrong.

The radio shut off every 15 minutes so I had to hit the start button which turned on the parking lights before I could shut those off. So irritating.

Then, the interior lights would come on every 7 minutes after turning the radio back on. What the heck is that all about?

Great movie, but it'd be nice to be able to keep the radio on. I saw other cars having to hit their start buttons to keep the radio on, but most didn't have to...even on the newer cars.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All designed to save you from a dead battery but I think you can change both of those settings. Check your OM. The computer will override your settings if it senses a low battery.

OP
OP
TheMaineEvent

TheMaineEvent

Reaction score
I didn't see anything in the settings or an internet search about changing the time the radio gets shut down. That, and its so weird that the interior lights came on 7 minutes AFTER turning the accessories back on for 30 seconds. Weird.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here doing a quick search just hoped newer models offered more control

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing you do is set parking brake then turn off truck then reach up and hit switch to turn off dome lights then press and hold start button (no brake) for more than 5 secs and truck will be in service mode. Make sure all other accessories are off, a/c, heat, etc. even unplug phones etc and only leave radio on. This will ensure your drls stay off, your dome lights stay off and the only thing draining on your battery is the radio(minus computer stuff) and you should be good to start up and leave.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another option i just thought about.... our trucks, even nnbs (07-14) with nav units, has what’s called ‘train station mode’ ....with truck off and key out of ignition, or for keyless, even without key fob in vehicle, simply push the power button on the radio and you can listen to it for 10 minutes at a time.... yes every 10 you need to turn it on again but it is another option.
No matter what, when truck is off step on parking(emergency) brake and turn off done light switch and youll solve 99% of your problem