1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird smell when A/C is turned on

Discussion in 'Interior' started by chilleblanco36, Jul 22, 2020.

1. steve45

steve45 Member

Name:
    Steve
    My 2009 Tahoe smells like melting Crayola crayons. Even with the A/C on.

R Black likes this.
  2. R Black

R Black Member

Name:
    Robert

Good call. I'm inclined to agree to using a dedicated more professional product prior to trying the Lysol, provided it isn't super expensive. Or. I suppose vice versa, go to the pro stuff if the Lysol doesn't work.

My suggestion was more on the pedestrian, low key, cheap-hack side of things, but if it's any consolation the Lysol smell does not last long.

Sam Harris likes this.
  3. R Black

R Black Member

Name:
    Robert

Correct. There are videos online on how to do this, once again you may get better results with a more dedicated professional product as others have suggested. but it doesn't hurt to try the Lysol.

Sam Harris likes this.
  4. grouch

grouch Full Access Member

Name:
    Paul
    If anybody has ever smoked in the vehicle, the smoke particles are in the ducts and growing mold. Lysol is the first thing I try. Years ago, I got one vehicle that was so bad, people were actually getting ill from the smell. That time, I used, I think, BG Industries "Frigiclean". That required drilling a small hole and shooting a cleaning foam into the area of the expansion coil in the HVAC system. The foam will settle in then as it dissolves, it will slide down taking dirt and mold with it. It won't do anything about the ducts but it will clean the coil where a lot of it sits as well as dirt and leaves that blow in and catch.

Sam Harris likes this.
  5. 79jasper

79jasper Full Access Member

Name:
    Jasper
    There's some good videos on the tube about cleaning cars that were smoked in. (I think the channel is Dallas paint correction and auto detailing)
    He blows out the vents with a leaf blower.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. petethepug

petethepug Full Access Member

Name:
    Michael
    This is funny. It might make sense if you have one of the trucks manufactured at GM’s Mexico plant. Your VIN would start with 3.

It’s popular in Mexico to use a waxy noise insulation product that smells like crayons. The Mk III VW made in Puebla Mex are known as crayola cars because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Harris likes this.
  7. Danny3737

Danny3737 Full Access Member

Name:
    Danny
    My old 2008 Highlander had the same smell at startup. I would shut the AC off about a mile from where I was going and the smell at startup went away. It’s not the ultimate solution, but it worked.

Sam Harris likes this.