Weird electrical issue/s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea why the previous owner accepted such a ****** stereo install in a brand new truck. I would been pissed if I saw that wiring in my brand new truck

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal, I was wondering what that was. Other people said the amp only powered the rear door speakers, implying that it wasn’t used on the two doors.

Here’s the factory amp, I’m pretty sure I don’t have it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/97-98-99-C...00-RADIO-AMPLIFIER-OEM-16218461-/322896726472

That box looks like it has a yellow connector which, if it is stock, was usually reserved for airbag components. Mine is a 98 but it’s a blank space up there. It looks like a really crappy place for someone to bother putting in something aftermarket.

013cc4ffe81c5dacea1ebc8a0ad96088.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea why the previous owner accepted such a ****** stereo install in a brand new truck. I would been pissed if I saw that wiring in my brand new truck

Lol, the previous owner in mine let his son take the truck to college. One of these days I’ll get around to pulling out all the cut pieces of speaker wire from under the carpet.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Previous owner told me he had upgraded the factory stereo. He changed out all the speakers, and put a sub in the rear door. I think I have the receipt. There are crossovers in the door panels that don't look OEM, and an amp under the drivers seat, so it's possible it's an aftermarket piece. The ebay ad for the amp says 97+ though. I'll put some nuts on those bolts anyway.

Was your blend actuator hunting? Did replacing the actuator fix it?
Thanks

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a 2004 Yukon that had bad actuators several times, but it was the same design actuator. It made a ratcheting sound and you could watch the little dial twitch back and forth. It was a rhythmic sound if that makes any sense.

I haven’t had any issue with the ones on this truck.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll look for movement, and pull the plug too. Not a ratcheting sound. Fluttering is the best I can describe mine. Kind of sounds like something quietly clicking. It's nowhere near where I first thought so at least I'm getting somewhere.

I don't think this is connected to the very loud relay buzzing that worries me most, but who knows.

Definitely appreciate the help. I've being trying to familiarize myself with this truck for a couple years. I have worked on cars since I was a teenager, but was afraid of this one for a long time. Finally couldn't ignore it and had to pay or play. I've done quite a lot already. It's a pretty complex vehicle and there always seems to be more to learn.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard the same noise when moving the vent position switch. So the 'fluttering' is the actuator. Need to find out why is mine doing it when the fan isn't on or the switch hasn't been moved. Clean up would probably be a good start.

Haven't heard the loud relay or lost the radio again yet.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how every time I look I find something else. There's a large silver box above the right side of convenience center. The only other relay I've found so far is the door lock relay. At least when I hear the crazy clicking again I have a couple things to check.

IMG_1723.JPG

Cleaned up the actuator arms and it made less noise moving around. But still don't have any idea why it's moving for no reason.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like someone added some stuff, that’s for sure.

I swapped the two relays and alarm module on mine with the ones from my truck...still clicks.

If the actuator dial is moving around when the panel selector isn’t, then it’s still sending the actuator a signal for some reason. Probably something flaky in the control panel.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like someone added some stuff, that’s for sure.
Definitely looked worse after the cheap alarm install I had put in after it was almost stolen few years ago. I'm guessing you don't have a big silver box there?

I swapped the two relays and alarm module on mine with the ones from my truck...still clicks.
Nice, that rules them out.

If the actuator dial is moving around when the panel selector isn’t, then it’s still sending the actuator a signal for some reason. Probably something flaky in the control panel.
Didn't seem to be the switch itself, but I should probably take a look at the back of it and the radio too.

Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne