We have an oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I am truly impressed, kbuskill. I have run remote mount oil filters before, but never a dual setup. Been involved with internal combustion engines since 1957 (go cart with a Briggs & Stratton one cylinder engine at age 10) and have tried almost everything, and can honestly say I have never blown a single engine, even when running nitrous on them. It all comes back to watching you gages and performing consistent and proper maintenance. Only thing I have never tried that I wanted to is the catch can thing that I want to put on my 2015 Silverado. Just difficult to get motivated to "wrench" all that much now as I will hit 71 this month. Arthritis in hands, shoulders, neck, back and knees make things difficult, in spite of having two total hip replacements. Too many bike wrecks and a couple of totalled cars will provide that for you. I often look back at all those "accidents" and am amazed I am still alive and kicking. I should have been killed at least four separate times. God has been watching over me all my life.

I also installed a catch can on mine and it works well. Fairly easy install depending on where you mount it.

I bought this one...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332537359812

And I added some extra "filtering" material.

It comes with this stainless mesh...
rps20180803_100948_547.jpg

I added a piece of green scrubby...
rps20180803_101140_303.jpg

And a stainless pot scrubber to give the oil vapor more surface area to condense on to...
rps20180803_101309_917.jpg

I mounted it on the drivers inner fender...
rps20180803_101427.jpg

It seems to work well. This is the first time I drained it after installing it. Not to bad for a truck with 200k+ miles and a 10k mile service interval... in my opinion.
rps20180803_101719_542.jpg

kbuskill

Reaction score
I also have an 08 Tahoe Hybrid with the 6.0. I've had the lifters all replaced and the valves all reseated after having my #8 cam lobe worn down from the AFM failing it. Anyway, fastforward 8 months and I start getting P0521 code showing up. I noticed that my oil pressure wouldn't get above 20 psi. Then I took it to get the oil changed and it went away. This time, it's only been around 2,000 miles since and my oil pressure dropped to around 10 and the code returned. I added a quart and it went away again and pressure returned to 40. There's some evidence of oil leaking out of the front. Mechanic advised to add a bottle of Lucas. I'll try that.

Is this really common in these engines?

Sounds like you need to replace the O-ring on the oil pickup tube.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Derale setup...

https://derale.com/products/filtrat...cation-kits/1-pass-24-heat-sink-cooler-detail

I mounted it to the inside of the passenger frame rail, in front of the crossmember and behind the bumper.
View attachment 204608 View attachment 204609 View attachment 204610
It goes through the filters then to the external cooler then back to engine.

Ahhh very cool. Do you know how much more oil will fit with this set up?

I also installed a catch can on mine and it works well. Fairly easy install depending on where you mount it.

I bought this one...
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/332537359812

And I added some extra "filtering" material.

It comes with this stainless mesh...
View attachment 204611

I added a piece of green scrubby...
View attachment 204612

And a stainless pot scrubber to give the oil vapor more surface area to condense on to...
View attachment 204613

I mounted it on the drivers inner fender...
View attachment 204614

It seems to work well. This is the first time I drained it after installing it. Not to bad for a truck with 200k+ miles and a 10k mile service interval... in my opinion.
View attachment 204615

Also very cool. Though I don't have a catch can, I am in the 200k + mile club and have noticed very little oil consumption during oil changes. I typically change my oil around 6k miles.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
It's a Derale setup...

https://derale.com/products/filtrat...cation-kits/1-pass-24-heat-sink-cooler-detail

I mounted it to the inside of the passenger frame rail, in front of the crossmember and behind the bumper.
View attachment 204608 View attachment 204609 View attachment 204610
It goes through the filters then to the external cooler then back to engine.
I bet that location really cools the oil nice. Is it too low where they could get damaged if you accidently run over something?

kbuskill

Reaction score
Ahhh very cool. Do you know how much more oil will fit with this set up?

Also very cool. Though I don't have a catch can, I am in the 200k + mile club and have noticed very little oil consumption during oil changes. I typically change my oil around 6k miles.

Obviously it would depend on the routing of your hoses and the size of your external oil cooler and filters but in my case about 2-2.5 quarts more. It is an 8 qt system now.

kbuskill

Reaction score
I bet that location really cools the oil nice. Is it too low where they could get damaged if you accidently run over something?

They are tucked up behind the front bumper and sit higher than the crossmember under the engine so while anything is possible it is not very probable. I haven't had any problems or close calls with it thus far.