Water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... I come out of the office yesterday and see what looks to be a small trail of coolant running from dead center under my 99 Yuk and down the parking sthal. Fresh coolant might I add. Drive home, temp creeps to 210, heat fades in and out, but eventually the temp drops as long as I am moving. Typical. Now I have had t-stats stick so I know this things gotta be low on coolant. Stop at the Autozone and throw about a half gallon at it, fill the resevoir and drive to work today. Temp gauge fine, heat great, no idea about a leak yet. In looking at it yesterday, the crossmember, sway bar, and skid plate are moist for sure.

Thant being said, I am certain this water pump is leaking through the weep hole. How much of a ***** is this to change? Is there anything you would recommend changing, aside from the belt along with this repair? Any good tutorials/how to's anywhere (tried searching here and found nothing really)? Recommendation on OEM vs aftermarket parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mike

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed the one on my 97 last weekend. It really isn't all that bad of a job. I just followed the steps in my Haynes manual. As far as other things to replace, if it hasn't been done I would do the T-Stat too and of course check all the hoses. I can make a write up on it and send it to you if you would like.

OP
OP
Johnny Racer

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the t-stat was done last year when the coolant nipple on the intake took off on me. Glad to hear its not that much of a ***** and if you could, it certainly would be appreciated. I even tried google and no luck there. Just trying to see if this is something really want to dick with of pay someone to do.

rushr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can do that later this evening and post it up for you. It books out at a 2 hr job and I was quoted 120 in labor. I've had it replaced twice in our Dodge Nitro, the first time was $300 total and the second time it was going to be around $360 total.

The cost for me on the Yukon was $60 for the waterpump, 13 for the T-Stat, and a few hours of my time.

Last edited:

SeriousSide97

Reaction score
ill be dammed if mine isnt leaking too. cool thing is I replaced it like 3 years ago from autozone and their covered with a LLW. Freebie comin up and looks like Im busy tonight.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is it?

My 93 TBI was one of the easiest waterpumps I had ever done....did 2 in 180,000 miles. Having electric fans made it real easy, as in 15 minutes in and out.
Haven't looked at my 99 vortec pump, but I would guess it's the same or really close as far as labor.....4 bolts and the lower hose clamp.

OP
OP
Johnny Racer

Johnny Racer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 99. Hoping its not that much of pain in the junk. Not thinking so and it appears that stock OEM part are only like $60 total plus gaskets and then of course since I'm in there... might as well throw a belt on it.

Done Deal DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really shouldn't be bad.

I replaced mine like a year back in my '92 TBI. Pretty much just consisted of taking the fan off, taking off the belt, loosening the hose connection, unbolting the water pump, bolting the new one on, reconnecting the hose, fill up with new coolant mixture and put a belt on for good measure. I had already just replaced the tstat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak