Water Pump - 2014 Yukon 5.3 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at replacing my water pump since I should have done that when I swapped out the radiator last summer, and also replace the plastic heater core T's in my never-ending quest to find out why I'm slowly losing coolant (little bit in the warm months, a lot in the winter... probably* the aluminum radiator).

Per Rock Auto I have three popular water pump options: Gates, AC Delco, and Melling. Which one is the good one? (I've spent some time searching this site for water-pump specific GMT900 posts...)

Also, can someone post the three part numbers for the plastic T fittings and hoses that I should have also replaced last sumer? I have two of them in a box in my basement, but didn't realize there was a third fitting that spontaneously explodes. I have: 15055342 & 15055543

What else should I be replacing in the coolant system that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the T fittings, but I tend to lean towards OEM on big ticket items. The original lasted this long, I'd go with the same personally.

As for other items, the upper and lower hoses could be replaced if they haven't already. Also to note, if you live in a salt state, I would recommend crawling under the passenger side and inspect the coolant lines that run to the back for the rear climate box. I've seen these weep around the brackets that hold them when salt eats through the pipe.

You could also inspect the rear climate box by pulling the trim panel off the rear on the passenger side. It will be sealed up, but you may be able to see residue if it's in question. I also think you can pull out 1 or 2 body plugs behind the passenger rear tire up under the body by where the lines go in. With a good light you could possibly see from the bottom side. Never did it myself, I just know that the cavity is hollow from my rust proofing endeavors.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at replacing my water pump since I should have done that when I swapped out the radiator last summer, and also replace the plastic heater core T's in my never-ending quest to find out why I'm slowly losing coolant (little bit in the warm months, a lot in the winter... probably* the aluminum radiator).

Per Rock Auto I have three popular water pump options: Gates, AC Delco, and Melling. Which one is the good one? (I've spent some time searching this site for water-pump specific GMT900 posts...)

Also, can someone post the three part numbers for the plastic T fittings and hoses that I should have also replaced last sumer? I have two of them in a box in my basement, but didn't realize there was a third fitting that spontaneously explodes. I have: 15055342 & 15055543

What else should I be replacing in the coolant system that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.
I would go oem acdelco on the pump
not sure what a 3rd fitting would be there are 2 t's and 2 hoses
HOSES.JPG

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^

I'm not aware of a 3rd Tee-like fitting.

You should also consider changing the hose that goes to the coolant reservoir, as it operates at the same pressure as the rest of the cooling system.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the reservoir T?

I'm thinking about doing radiator and water pump as well. My coolant smell has been coming and going, and coolant level hasn't budged, no drips..

The one thing about the melling water pump, double seals on the bearing and EPDM rubber in their gaskets.. Not saying they're better, but that's their sales pitch..

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like the gates hoses and belts. I've done their water pumps too, just not
on our platform vehicles.
The Tee Fittings should be GM only
And yes , the hose with the Y in it is available with a metal fitting (I did mine couple
of years ago with my new gm Tee fittings)
I did use a GM water pump, but I thing the other 2 brands listed would be fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos