Water leak at liftgate!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Capt E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a big problem here and need some assistance please.

Today I needed to take my boat trolling motor to get checked out and as I was putting it in the rear I saw a puddle of water. I have the Husky rear mat and in the front of the mat it has some indents. The water was collected in the passenger side indent.(I back my truck in when I park it and the rear is higher) I start to look around and noticed a water mark/stain on the headliner just above the top mold in front of the lift gate. Nothing else was wet so the water must have gotten in a few days ago when it rained and the rest had dried since. The only thing I could find possibly wrong was on the rear door seal thats actually on the truck not on the lift gate had a couple indents on the top left side. Everything was in place but as I ran my fingers across the seal I felt two spots that were abnormal. Almost like those spots were curled under. Kinda hard to explain I guess but hopefully someone can picture it.

So my thought was to not start screwing around and just replace the rear seal and see if that helps. Anyone ever had this problem or heard of this? Any help would be great and the part number would help too. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Updated sig with veh info.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking the seal would be the first thing to do. Never heard anything like that happen to these trucks.
Maybe u accidentally popped the rear window open?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the exact same issue with my '07 tahoe. It is the grommet where the wiring from the window enters the truck. The rubber grommet was installed correctly, but leaked. I ended up applying clear silicone sealant around the grommet...problem solved.

OP
OP
C

Capt E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys!

Found the issue.

It was the gasket/seal that routes the wires from the truck to the liftgate. There was a little dirt buildup and a small leaf under the seal. Cleaned everything up and seems to have stopped leaking. If it returns then I will apply some silicone like above.

bauer4567

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the exact same issue with my '07 tahoe. It is the grommet where the wiring from the window enters the truck. The rubber grommet was installed correctly, but leaked. I ended up applying clear silicone sealant around the grommet...problem solved.

+4... same problem, same fix.

mallguvner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So are we talking about the oval entrance gasket a little to the right of the middle at top with all the wires? I didn't find anything in it in the way of debris. I silicone it but a little snow this morning and it's leaking again.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sealed the rear wire harness boot with some caulk... No more stain on the headliner, no more wet carpet. Mine would leak when it was outside and the wind was blowing from behind the truck...