Water immersion for boat trailer launch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skid51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RE. A 2016 Yukon Denali: My boat trailer geometry + boat ramp angles require that the rear hubs get immersed and therefore, I assume, rear axle as well. How concerning is this for wheel bearings, axle vents, underbody electricals such as self-levelling pump, etc? I am weighing adding a tongue extender to the trailer if this immersion is potentially damaging. Thanks.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a truck like that, there is a lot of electrical stuff back there.

When you say get the wheels wet, how wet are we talking? Is it just up into the rims a little bit, or are you to the point of bumper in the water and wheels below water to a point higher than the halfway up the wheel?

My concerns would be the following:
1. Rear brake drums for the emergency brake getting corroded up
2. Parking sensors (assuming bumper below water)
3. Compressor for air shocks

Granted, all these should be designed to accept moisture. A lot of water blows around while driving in heavy rain, etc. The breathers for the axle and compressor are up high by the fuel fill door. The electrical connectors should be water tight.....for the most part.

Suggestions:
1) pack electrical connectors with dielectric grease and reassemble to keep moisture out.
2) maybe use the parking brake to slow you down when stopping in addition to regular brakes to generate some heat and try to get the moisture out that way. This will keep the drum cleaner from rust buildup, exercise the cables and linkage, but will reduce the usable life of the shoes.
3) inspect breather hoses for dry rot or cracking an make sure they are going higher up like they are supposed to.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the least you'll want to make sure your axle's vent line is connected and up high near the body where it belongs. The air compressor is above the hub and just behind the tire.

All of this should be rinsed thoroughly, especially if launching in salt or brackish water. There will be increased maintenance or rather, things you might normally do later would have to be done sooner, like rear brakes and parking brake shoes.

OP
OP
S

Skid51

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Good suggestions, thanks. To answer B-Train, yes, this is pretty deep, hence my query. The centerlines of the hubs are under water, the exhaust tips are under, and the trailer wiring connector inside the bumper is under. This is fresh water only, for now. I make sure not to have the wiring harness hooked up and I keep the engine running to minimize any water backflow up the pipe.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would suggest finding a different boat launch with a steeper underwater gradient. You should expect water to be getting at your wheel bearings - The same way it gets at your trailer bearings, only on your trailer you most likely have bearing buddy's which are spring loaded to push the water out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B