Warm/hot engine bay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cj6913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2014 PPV and it seems that when I open hood to do any work, it seems as if the engine bay is uncharacteristically warmer than a lot of other vehicles I’ve had. Is this a norm for the PPVs? Temp gauge is good and runs like a top. Just curious.

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually on PPV and SSV there is multiple heavy duty cooling systems For Coolant, engine oil, transmission, power steering so they can run happy at 100+ mph without issues.

Upfitter catalog

Cooling Heavy-duty high capacity radiator, electric fans and extended life coolant; coolant hoses are EPDM (ethylene-propylene-diene monomer) rubber; silicone hoses are not required (coolant is DEX-COOL good for 5 years/150.000 miles, protects from -34° F to +265° F and against rust and corrosion)
Oil coolers Heavy-duty engine, transmission and auxiliary air-to-oil power steering

Attachments

• upfitting.png
    upfitting.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 8

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With the additional or larger than normal coolers, that @Shackman7878 talked about, that may be a source of more heat dissipation radiating from them when the hood is opened. Plus, when I worked in shops in KC when hot outside and humid, it was a sweat box when open the hood and leaned in to work on them. I know it gets hot and humid in Detroit, so I am not saying you would not know that but if you just moved there from a less humid state, that can also be a source of the heat surprise.

Are the exhaust manifolds on the PPV rigs, different than stock?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I believe it’s a side effect in this and other vehicles with electric fans.

Old school belt driven fans moved significantly more air, and moved it all the time, even quite a bit with the viscous couplers disengaged. And the viscous element reacted to AIR temperature.

E fans just run as needed to modulate the engine coolant and / or AC. They don’t react to high air temperatures AFAIK.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a frame of reference with other nnbs trucks. I haven’t noticed anything extraordinary about theothertwin.

In thecopcar I have REALLY noticed a lot of heat buildup when I’m moving very slowly off road. I ended up adding hood louvers on that one to help control it.

OP
OP
cj6913

cj6913

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With the additional or larger than normal coolers, that @Shackman7878 talked about, that may be a source of more heat dissipation radiating from them when the hood is opened. Plus, when I worked in shops in KC when hot outside and humid, it was a sweat box when open the hood and leaned in to work on them. I know it gets hot and humid in Detroit, so I am not saying you would not know that but if you just moved there from a less humid state, that can also be a source of the heat surprise.

Are the exhaust manifolds on the PPV rigs, different than stock?
They appear to be stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24