Want to swap OEM power running boards from 2015 Tahoe to 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

applegate123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with factory power running boards. I am purchasing a 2019 Premier Tahoe. I assume that the power running boards could be moved from the 2015 to the 2019. However, I am not sure what would be the complications of installation on the new vehicle. Would this be a plug-n-play installation or would there be some missing some components/programming? I have not removed the running boards yet. Any information would be appreciated on removal and installation.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello - I have a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with factory power running boards. I am purchasing a 2019 Premier Tahoe. I assume that the power running boards could be moved from the 2015 to the 2019. However, I am not sure what would be the complications of installation on the new vehicle. Would this be a plug-n-play installation or would there be some missing some components/programming? I have not removed the running boards yet. Any information would be appreciated on removal and installation.

You’re correct. The boards can be physically swapped. The switch to the left of the steering wheel needs to be swapped too. The wiring is part of the chassis harness. So you’ll need a custom harness made which I can do. I’ve made one for my Yukon.

First, we need to see if the appropriate wires are present on the main harness. In the engine bay, there’s a connector behind the main fuse block. Release the latch and remove the top part of the connector. You’re looking for terminals in positions 8, 34 & 39. Let me know if they are present.

15c089a641d50ad095e3615b86911f5d.jpg

f79b128901dcec3a46cccdfbe7ed89c3.jpg

48a0b8b60b4bcc07ae59a18a209aff37.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

applegate123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed information. I decided that for the time and effort, I could just buy a set of AMP running boards.

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you do me a favor though and see if those pins I circled are present in your connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or just grab a picture of the connector pins like mine and I can see if they are there.

lynxnova

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey whats up guys, I ha e a question about the assist steps. I just bought a 2017 Escalade with the regular running boards and was incline on purchasing a set of assist steps from the dealership. Can I just swap them out or do I need to get a special harness also or any special programming?

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey whats up guys, I ha e a question about the assist steps. I just bought a 2017 Escalade with the regular running boards and was incline on purchasing a set of assist steps from the dealership. Can I just swap them out or do I need to get a special harness also or any special programming?

You’ll need to see if the connectors are present. On the driver side, look behind the running board. Find the main harness next to the frame. There should be three on that side. I doubt they are there, but if they are, they’d be taped up to keep dirt out.

If they are not present, look at my earlier posts and see if those pins are present in the connector under the hood. I can make you a custom harness that will allow you to add the power assist steps.

lynxnova

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[emoji1360] will do, I’ll check to see what I have

YASMEL DIAZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You’re correct. The boards can be physically swapped. The switch to the left of the steering wheel needs to be swapped too. The wiring is part of the chassis harness. So you’ll need a custom harness made which I can do. I’ve made one for my Yukon.

First, we need to see if the appropriate wires are present on the main harness. In the engine bay, there’s a connector behind the main fuse block. Release the latch and remove the top part of the connector. You’re looking for terminals in positions 8, 34 & 39. Let me know if they are present.

15c089a641d50ad095e3615b86911f5d.jpg

f79b128901dcec3a46cccdfbe7ed89c3.jpg

48a0b8b60b4bcc07ae59a18a209aff37.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hello I just installed powered running boards using YouTube and used pin 39 and 8 but never used 34 as you mentioned, what is this pin for? I'm now getting this alert which I assume I now need to swap the switch too please tell me what is this pin 34 for if possible? Btw yes I checked and i have the pin 34 on the male side

Screenshot_20210506-174729_Gallery.jpg