Want to replace your backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks a ton for putting the effort into this post

Been a few years, but I read this thread a couple of times while searching for DIY instructions for replacing/troubleshooting backup camera on a 2011 Yukon XL.

Checked the fuse. Good. Checked the mirror power. Good. There is some control module somewhere apparently, didn't find that..I assumed also good. Then took a leap of faith and figured that somehow the camera just simply went on the fritz after 8 years.

NoWayMan, your suggestion to look on eBay was gold. I found an applique for cheaper than I could find a replacement camera (which as we can deduce from the posts above was never meant to be replaced) and that saved not only money, but a huge amount of time.

Next, I found this video and it walked step by step through the removal and install.

I suspect there were a few edits made to the video where he was cursing at whoever put the locktite on some of the threads, but it all came out OK and I broke nothing in the end.

Good luck to whoever finds themselves in a similar position. It's not so scary a procedure after all!

bryand1963

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to add an additional backup camera to my trailer by installing the exact same backup camera as factory supplied and wire it in with a switch to select the trailer camera.
I just need an OEM or equivalent camera (easy to get), and connectors to tap into the original harness and a convenient place to install the switch.
Has anyone done something like this?
Or I could possibly use a wireless camera and then just need selector switch where the cables come up to the display in the dashboard.
Has anyone tried this? Ideas?
Bryan
2012 GMC Yukon Denali