Want Replacement Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by homesick, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    aah I see, I knew you had the ssv that's why I was what the heck? lol

BourbonNcigars likes this.
  2. iamdub

iamdub It's always something.

Name:
    Chris
    Oh, so THIS is what makes you talk!
    Sack cinched up, read and tracked it all. Good stuff. At this point, Joe's probably like, "I'm sorry I asked. I'm just gonna get some Dual speakers from Walmart, not tell anyone and hope this thread fades away".

Trackin' here too! I'm fluent in Sarcastinese.

3. homesick

homesick Full Access Member

Name:
    Joe
    First, it's rare to see the depth and breadth of y'all's replies here. I thank all you guys.

I think objective and subjective sides both have some validity. I'm into it enough that I have Rotel electronics and Paradigm speakers in the house, but I'll never have directional-copper wires or those pucks to keep the wires from touching the floor. I guess I'm entry-level high-end.

Your 'smiley face' EQ sounds basically like the old 'loudness' button; except that the loudness button'a effect tapers off as the volume goes up.

I agree with your harsh environment comment, and that environment is the #1 influence. Cars/trucks are the worse-- variable noise interference due to mechanical and wind noise changing with vehicle speed, lots of glass to reflect and harshen sound, tin-canning of steel panels, etc.

I agree, also, that speakers are the prime system influence of sound quality (hence the thread's title).

LOL, yes, less bass sounds worse; and louder, and/or more treble, sounds better. Even if they don't. I also read recently that 'Aja' by Steely Dan is an unofficial official demo song for dealers because it can make gear sound better than it really does.

I don't think my trouble is a high or low freq loss. It's been this way since my Navy aircraft mechanic days as a teenager. My hearing tests thru 20 years of military never showed any problem losses. Reproduced vocals are just painful to listen to sometimes. I think the current problem freqs are the ones affected by the aircraft. They were reciprocating, not jets, so there wasn't a lot of high freq noise.

Also, I think maybe you should be glad you're measuring low freq noise. High freqs are the more damaging ones.

----------edit to add--------

I just didn't feel like braving the cold today to go out and look for specific model numbers and brands. I'll do it though.

joe

BourbonNcigars and iamdub like this.