VVT fix or delete with normal cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think people get vvt and afm mixed up. I don't think you can just turn off vvt. there other things that have to be done. there really isn't a drawback to vvt. its the best of both worlds. I wouldn't get rid of it unless you are planning on going FI. other than that I would keep it, and that includes cam swap. texas speed makes several vvt cams and they actually do a better job. here is a vvt delete kit https://www.texas-speed.com/p-724-vvt-delete-kit.aspx
afm (active fuel management) is what everyone wants to turn off. that's what make your vehicle go into 4cy mode.

i mean you can disable the vvt with hptuners but i imagine the truck falls on its face about 4.5-5k rpm. there are also additional tables that need to be adjusted not just turning off variable cam, a few spark tables at least. in the parked position the cam is as far advanced as possible (what you want off idle) GMs vvt can only retard the cam (in old school terms with no vvt you would retard the cam for higher hp while sacrificing low end torque). so GM fully advances the cam off idle and as you run up through the rpm range it continues to retard the cam right at peak torque.
GM also uses VVT to replace EGR system from the factory by retarding the cam while cruising they leave the valves hanging open well past what would normally be the piston events.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm having problems with the vvt I think on my 07 escalade. Code P0011. what parts could be bad? Should I start replacing vvt parts and hope they won't go bad again or just delete it all and put a decent cam in?
How often you oil change with the VVT

requires full synthetic and frequent oil changes(if you use a larger filter it can last longer)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63