VLOM Advice needed - semi urgent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Headed for our first road trip in the yukon tomorrow. Done a ton of prep for this incl:

Oil pan pickup tube o ring replaced
Afm disabled with black bear tune
Rear end oil changed
Transmission pan dropped, filter changed and fluid replaced.

Just on a whim I checked my front vlom bolts, one was tight the other just over finger tight.

Is it worth it to pull the intake tonight and retorque all the bolts? Im worried ill end up screwing something up by accident (like an electrical connection) and do more harm than good. Weve got about 200 mi to drive tomorrow. Oil pressure is good, no indication anything amiss.

What would you do??

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Headed for our first road trip in the yukon tomorrow. Done a ton of prep for this incl:

Oil pan pickup tube o ring replaced
Afm disabled with black bear tune
Rear end oil changed
Transmission pan dropped, filter changed and fluid replaced.

Just on a whim I checked my front vlom bolts, one was tight the other just over finger tight.

Is it worth it to pull the intake tonight and retorque all the bolts? Im worried ill end up screwing something up by accident (like an electrical connection) and do more harm than good. Weve got about 200 mi to drive tomorrow. Oil pressure is good, no indication anything amiss.

What would you do??
Yes. If at all possible with your schedule, I would torque them down. It would be in the back of my head the whole trip.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. If at all possible with your schedule, I would torque them down. It would be in the back of my head the whole trip.
I already got the front two, you mean pull the intake? Never having done this, approx how long does it take? I know id need intake seals…checking local autozone.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already got the front two, you mean pull the intake? Never having done this, approx how long does it take? I know id need intake seals…checking local autozone.
These bolts being loose is a common problem and can lead to AFM lifter failure so if it’s possible, I would pull the intake and check all of them. While the intake is off, might go ahead and change out the o-rings on the bottom side of VLOM as one thought is they shrink a little which causes the bolts to be loose.

It was about a 1-1/2 to 2 hour job for me, if I recall. You may be quicker or slower than me. Just be sure to follow the proper torquing sequence for the intake bolts.

That being said, if your pressed for time, even though it would be in the back of my head, your likely not to have any issues on your trip and can just plan on taking care of it when you get home.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These bolts being loose is a common problem and can lead to AFM lifter failure so if it’s possible, I would pull the intake and check all of them. While the intake is off, might go ahead and change out the o-rings on the bottom side of VLOM as one thought is they shrink a little which causes the bolts to be loose.

It was about a 1-1/2 to 2 hour job for me, if I recall. You may be quicker or slower than me. Just be sure to follow the proper torquing sequence for the intake bolts.

That being said, if your pressed for time, even though it would be in the back of my head, your likely not to have any issues on your trip and can just plan on taking care of it when you get home.
With a 3 month and 2.5 year old, i have very limited time and really need to plan for something like this. I already ordered the valley gasket and vlom plug from crazedperfoemancerepair and will plan on doing this when I get home. Thanks for the feedback!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a 3 month and 2.5 year old, i have very limited time and really need to plan for something like this. I already ordered the valley gasket and vlom plug from crazedperfoemancerepair and will plan on doing this when I get home. Thanks for the feedback!
Completely understand. There is ideal, then there is real life. Having 4 kids if my own, I get what your saying 100%!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good job guys, yep you should be fine for the trip, just get to it later when time permits.

OP
OP
F

FasterBass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job guys, yep you should be fine for the trip, just get to it later when time permits.
I was able to get a torque wrench on the front two, so at least those are exactly 18 ft/lbs and even. Some peace of mind…

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was able to get a torque wrench on the front two, so at least those are exactly 18 ft/lbs and even. Some peace of mind…
You'll be fine. I had mine blowing oil out the back of it before I tracked the issue down. You are way ahead of where I was. Enjoy your trip and forget about it.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

What would you do??
You never told us what yr, make, model, engine, etc you drive ????

What stands out in my mind is to change the driverside valve cover to the new improved unit if it hasn't already been done? Its easy to do and takes about 1 hr.

If you have an 07-08? its GM pt# 12570427. I paid $117 online a couple 3+ yrs ago.

If you have an 09-11? its GM pt# 12642655

And a catch can.Yukon VCs.jpg
Catch can.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14