Violent front wheel shake, sometimes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FunFordCobra

Reaction score
1997 Yukon 2wd 4dr. Sometimes when I hit a bump, one of the front wheels starts shaking pretty violently...Braking doesn't help..veering left to right does help it stop. This only happens on rough roads.. Smooth roads are fine and the front brakes and bearings are new. Wheels are new and balanced.

Any ideas before I start tearing things apart?

Thanks!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Very worn chassis or steering part. GET OFF THE ROAD before you take one of us with you! Did this occur after the previous repairs or before?

OP
OP
FunFordCobra

FunFordCobra

Reaction score
Took it to just breaks and worked fine for a few months where they replaced the front brakes and bearings. It's not my only truck and it's been parked. I've had a tie rod end break on me in my younger years on my Z28 so I know the danger. When that tie rod broke I dont remember any shaking prior though.

OP
OP
FunFordCobra

FunFordCobra

Reaction score
Turned out to be the Idler and pitman arm.

Anyone know what the steering sensor is called? I'm wanting to replace that too.

Thanks.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that same violent shake with mine, the idler and pitman arms were sooo baaaad is wasn't even funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snackcake01