Violent Downshift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night as I'm leaving Walmart making a left, as I straighten out to accelerate my 2012 Yukon XL Denali downshifted hard enough to scare everyone onboard. I was probably doing 10-15mph and eased on to the gas. It drove fine the rest of the way home. Should I be concerned?

Did you have a tune done recently? Did you finish the turn at about 5-10 mph and then got on it? If so, that means she shifted back down to 1st which is a very steep gear. Removing torque management makes this more noticeable. When I come out of a u-turn the truck is usually in 2nd already and then get on it, the motor downshifts to first gear, the whole front end lifts up into the air and the rpms head for 6000! The first few times I did that I tell ya it startled me in no small way! It's normal.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you have a tune done recently? Did you finish the turn at about 5-10 mph and then got on it? If so, that means she shifted back down to 1st which is a very steep gear. Removing torque management makes this more noticeable. When I come out of a u-turn the truck is usually in 2nd already and then get on it, the motor downshifts to first gear, the whole front end lifts up into the air and the rpms head for 6000! The first few times I did that I tell ya it startled me in no small way! It's normal.
My 2006 does this as well after I had it black bear tuned. I forget that when I come out of a turn at that low speed and and then hit the go pedal it’s gonna drop gear! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tahoe Belgium