VIDEO GUIDE 02 Yukon XL LED conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mo2058130

Reaction score
I’d like to add led lights to the rear door reflectors. 2005’ Yukon xl. Anyone done this? How would I wire the power to come on when that door is open? I suppose the easiest would be to just wire them in with the front doors?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d like to add led lights to the rear door reflectors. 2005’ Yukon xl. Anyone done this? How would I wire the power to come on when that door is open? I suppose the easiest would be to just wire them in with the front doors?

Wire them to the rear dome light, it’s closer.

Agree with Ron, hit the closest dome light you can. Another option is to get on of the mercury switches for the light under a hood and an use that to turn your lights on or off. That way your lights aren’t in when the tailgate is closed.

Someone on here posted about how they added some lights to the bottom corners of their liftgate so they illuminated the area while getting things in or out of the back. I can’t find it right now, but it gave some good thoughts on how to run wires and such.

EDIT: Found one of the links I was thinking of.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/lift-gate-led.114047/#post-1370426

Last edited:

mo2058130

Reaction score
Agree with Ron, hit the closest dome light you can. Another option is to get on of the mercury switches for the light under a hood and an use that to turn your lights on or off. That way your lights aren’t in when the tailgate is closed.

Someone on here posted about how they added some lights to the bottom corners of their liftgate so they illuminated the area while getting things in or out of the back. I can’t find it right now, but it gave some good thoughts on how to run wires and such.

Dome light, yes that sounds good thanks! Just though the door and up the B post between the headliner right? Any hiccups ur aware of? I also saw that post with the eagle eyes for puddle lights and tailgate illumination. I like that as well. Thank you very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dome light, yes that sounds good thanks! Just though the door and up the B post between the headliner right? Any hiccups ur aware of? I also saw that post with the eagle eyes for puddle lights and tailgate illumination. I like that as well. Thank you very much.

I have to admit, when you said rear door, I thought you were talking about the liftgate. My attention to detail is going to take me places in life.:eek:

That being said, yes, run your wires along with the other wires going into your door and up the B pillar and tap into the dome light. Just be careful and take your time and make good connections on your wires. It will reduce the chance of having to track down issues later. I prefer to solder and heatshrink my connections.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you have a dome light in the rear like I do, just pull a cover off one of the very rear d pillars and go up there. There should even be a wiring harness running up at least the driver side I believe to zip tie it to. Pull the dome light down, connect the wires and snake it above the headliner or pull the corner down.

Edit: I also was thinking liftgate. Yes the B post route.

mo2058130

Reaction score
I have to admit, when you said rear door, I thought you were talking about the liftgate. My attention to detail is going to take me places in life.:eek:

That being said, yes, run your wires along with the other wires going into your door and up the B pillar and tap into the dome light. Just be careful and take your time and make good connections on your wires. It will reduce the chance of having to track down issues later. I prefer to solder and heatshrink my connections.

Lol, I’m sure I’m as clear as mud as well. Thanks for the help!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC