Vibration at low gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrucksterZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone else having vibrations in low gear? I feel like it’s getting worse, but when there is limited weight, awful grinding sound at 20-40 mph. I’ve noticed more since I put slightly bigger tires. Curious if anyone else has had this before I go take it up with GM.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else having vibrations in low gear? I feel like it’s getting worse, but when there is limited weight, awful grinding sound at 20-40 mph. I’ve noticed more since I put slightly bigger tires. Curious if anyone else has had this before I go take it up with GM.
Not me, u-joints? Did you check the axles and transfer case if it is a 4x4?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? Are there enough miles on it to suspect a wheel bearing going bad?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrucksterZ71

TrucksterZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s a 21 with 9k ….. put new wheels and tires on it a month ago but only noticing this issue occasionally (but at low speed)

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might be prepared for them to say “the bigger tire combo is the problem” though it’s not.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am assuming that you changed the tires, but not the wheels. Have you checked your tires for any signs of rubbing on another component in the suspension or fender well?

Mako4756

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was feeling a similar vibration and here's what I did that took care of the issue. It didn't fix it but at least I know what it is or think I do. Next time you feel it try pressing the transmission "L" selector that will put the trans one gear lower than when its in drive. Vibration gone. If you look at the dash you will see its in something like 7th gear at 30 mph when in "D" but drops to 6th when in shifted into manual. GM must have the software programmed that way. Next time I have to go to the dealer I'm going to inquire about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT