Vibrating noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Morant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum , I have a 2007 Tahoe Ltz and it makes a vibrating noise for about 2 or 3 seconds when I turn on the a/c then it won’t do it any more that day

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the compressor clutch is having trouble seating in when turned on or the belt tensioner is rattling or the belt is slipping. May just be the normal noise of the a/c compressor bearing or valves internally. I am assuming this noise is all new.

Hopefully a mod will move this post to the correct section because Site News is not even close.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Without hearing the noise it’s hard to make an educated guess as to what it is.
Worst case scenario I’ve come across with an intermittent rattling noise when switching on ac was on an older Buick. That one had me stumped for about 4 hrs because with a stethoscope it sounded like it was coming from the oil pan and ended up being a cracked flex plate. The added load of the ac is what the noise more dominant.
These small ac belt tensioners are a common issue and could be your source which would be best case scenario. I change mine out every other year if it needs it or not because I’ve seen them fail too often.
Another issue with these low mount ac compressors is the oil likes to settle to the lowest point which happens to be the compressor. The compressor doesn’t like pumping oil and you can be hearing valve chatter. On both my Escalades I installed a device called a deslugger. It cycles the compressor on startup after it’s been off for a while to keep the compressor from hydro locking. I think they’re worth it and recommend to anyone with a low mount compressor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

===>>> Clutch, tensioner, or belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ppv2018