Vetronix GM Tech2 Diagnostic Scanner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing would be to do all the self tests on the scan tool.
It does a self test automatically as soon as you power it up. I have had my clone for a good 5yrs or so now. Its till going strong and has saved me alot of $$ and Time.
Usually when it says it cant communicate its because the module it is looking for isnt there. Different years use different pinouts and likely address too which makes it think the module it is looking for isnt there. If you put in the wrong year, chassis, option package, etc then it can screw up what info you are looking for. The info the OP is looking for is in the BCM. Check your vin to see if it matches whats in your PCM/BCM.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forum or my computer has gone wonky, cutting out letters and such. Someone over at the SilveradoSierra forum is selling their Tech-2.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the VCI the thing that the cable connects to on the Tech 2? Are you thinking the Candi module?
When I hook my Tech 2 clone up to my vehicles I attach one end of the cable to the tech 2 and the other end to the OBD II connector under the dash. Nothing is hooked up in between. I have bidirectional control.
The Candi Module is what allows you to use your laptop as a tech2 and use the GM website to download PCM programs if you have a subscription for that option.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I hook my Tech 2 clone up to my vehicles I attach one end of the cable to the tech 2 and the other end to the OBD II connector under the dash. Nothing is hooked up in between. I have bidirectional control.
The Candi Module is what allows you to use your laptop as a tech2 and use the GM website to download PCM programs if you have a subscription for that option.

The OBD II cable connects to the VCI module that is inside of the Tech 2. I connect my computer to my Tech 2 with a USB Serial Adapter and the flat ribbon cable, never using the Candi module for anything, including programming modules. The Candi module is for later years, I think beginning in 2007.

1641091076200.png1641091123100.png

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have a 2013 and use the candi. I was talking about the vci that Fless was mentioning. There are several tests that can be done to confirm it works. They won’t rule out an issue but might find one. I had a bad vci in my tech2 and had to replace it. It still tested good but wouldn’t work.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC