Venting - me, not the Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We used to have a 1931 Model A Ford.
At the time that Ford was made, it was expected that many owners would need to make their own repairs on the side of a desolate road; and be able to do that with a couple of common wrenches, a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a jack.

I don't think any auto manufacturer designs anything with the intent of making it easy for DIY repairs. Now days, it seems they have gone out of their way to make it difficult or impossible. Proprietary tools are required for certain procedures an so many vehicles now.

Even though GM did some of that at the time our rigs came off the assembly line, we still got in on something that was still relatively easy to work on. As @SnowDrifter mentioned, ours are a lot simpler to work on than many others.

"Modern" vehicles are constructed so that you need to go to a dealer to do almost anything. Some won't even tell you what specific code is tripping a CEL without having to get a dealer to read it (and probably fix it, too).

I count my blessings every day with my 04 Tahoe! I am sure I'll have my moments of pain and frustration, but my odds of being able to still complete a repair with success are still pretty good. I would even attempt anything other than brake pads and rotors on my wife's 2019 Honda CRV!

On that Model A... I did a distributor rebuild on the side of the mountain in VT and swapped out water pump on the road to Mystic, CT.
With all due respect, comparing a 2000+ modern vehicle to a ‘31 Model T is like comparing a punch card time clock to an iPhone.

Your 31’ model T couldn’t go 200k miles, couldn’t go 3000 miles without an oil change, and you couldn’t/wouldn’t want to drive it for 500 miles non stop. You also probably wouldn’t survive a head on at 20 MPh.

I get there are some places that are difficult to work on, but reality is, most any vehicle these days is reliable, needs very little service/repair, and provides a level of comfort and safety not even in the realm of anyone’s thought process in 1931.

The fact most need to go to a shop is that all this extra function and reliability came at the cost of more complexity and parts. But, of the millions of miles driven daily, what percentage actually require a side of the road fix?

Besides, it’s good for the economy to have mechanics and repair shops!!!

That said, you want a rant, do plugs and wires on a 2007-14 model….it’s all sunshine and roses till you get to Cylinder 8…ask me how I know!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
You can have access to the service manuals with a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com for about $30 a year iirc.

As far as replacing those lines, the front diff can be unbolted and let hang/droop for easier access. It’s just 4 fairly large bolts, 2 on each side. This also makes it possible to remove the oil pan without removing the whole front diff. The quick connect clips-pull the plastic cover back and use a small hook tool to remove them. It’s easy, and if one or two bounce away like they usually do, there’s assortments of generic ones available at any auto parts store in the Dorman “help” section. I suggest buying these first. When installing, put the clip into the fitting first and then just push the oil line into the fitting until it clicks into place.
I bought this just for those clips.
Lisle 22930 3/8" Low Profile Disconnect https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZW8PD...t_i_PQ1APE5909T07NDX2EZN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 20220318_103314.jpg
    20220318_103314.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220318_103256.jpg
    20220318_103256.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220318_103235.jpg
    20220318_103235.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 4

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all due respect, comparing a 2000+ modern vehicle to a ‘31 Model T is like comparing a punch card time clock to an iPhone.

Your 31’ model T couldn’t go 200k miles, couldn’t go 3000 miles without an oil change, and you couldn’t/wouldn’t want to drive it for 500 miles non stop. You also probably wouldn’t survive a head on at 20 MPh.

I get there are some places that are difficult to work on, but reality is, most any vehicle these days is reliable, needs very little service/repair, and provides a level of comfort and safety not even in the realm of anyone’s thought process in 1931.

The fact most need to go to a shop is that all this extra function and reliability came at the cost of more complexity and parts. But, of the millions of miles driven daily, what percentage actually require a side of the road fix?

That said, you want a rant, do plugs and wires on a 2007-14 model….it’s all sunshine and roses till you get to Cylinder 8…ask me how I know!
Apologies, if my post came across as a rant.

My primary point was that engineers do not sit around the design table, thinking: "How can we make this easy for the DIY mechanic to work on in their driveway with common tools?" Their job is to find a way to take all the stuff the consumer wants, find a way to stuff all of that into the vehicle and do it at the lowest possible cost for the manufacturer. They have a tough job meeting the fine balance between form, function and budget. I do not envy them one bit.

My intent was to simply highlight that the ability of a DIY mechanic is most likely not part of that design process.

I agree, a Model A from the 20's or 30's is not an apple to apple comparison with today's vehicles.
What I was describing earlier, was that Henry Ford and his engineers of the day, purposely built components that were mostly serviceable in the field or on the roadside with a minimal set of tools.

If my post came across as a rant, that was not my intent.

Cheers!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

number 8 is super-easy providing, you use the right combination of adapters, so many people fight it, that it's almost comical.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
number 8 is super-easy providing, you use the right combination of adapters, so many people fight it, that it's almost comical.
Exactly. And it’s the same on a 2000-2006 as a 2007-2014. I don’t find it a challenge at all anymore.