Vehicle pulls left or right when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't think there are any coincidences.Let me double check the brake action before leading into costly repair shops. I don't think it's that serious of an issue. The pull when braking is not that severe.

"Thanks for any help. I am prepared to buy another set of Arnotts just because I think it's time. They may solve the issue but I hate throwing parts at a problem and hoping for a change. I need this solved asap as this seems like a safety issue."

Most recent post first and then what you said in the first post about this problem.

I am not piling on nor am I taking this lightly. You just said not that severe and in first post you said "need this solved asap as this seems like a safety issue".

I think it is a safety issue too and would not take the problem lightly. My recommendation still remains the same. Get it to a frame shop for a COMPLETE inspection. They will be able to check the frame, steering and suspension for problems. They may even see obvious brake problems and obvious tire problem but when your steering and suspension components are all rooted to the frame you have to start someplace, especially after the accident information.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not see a specific statement that you have replaced the brake caliper hoses. As you are probably aware, these can act as a check valve, decreasing the clearance between the rotor and caliper pads. The normal runout on the rotors "throws" the pads away from the rotor when the brake pedal is released, since there are no springs involved (like on brake shoes). A slight amount of retained pressure in the hose can prevent this action. The age of your vehicle suggests the hoses may be a culprit. Brake fluid is bad for rubber components.

Calipers are another cause--corrosion in the cylinders can impede the same retraction of the pads.

And finally, if the pads are hanging up because of dirty/dry slide pins the pads can drag intermittently on the rotors. The part of the caliper in a typical two cylinder caliper that opposes the pistons (outer) must be able to move easily so that the inner and outer pads wear evenly. When the pin grease dries out, the outer pads wear out prematurely from constant or intermittent contact with the rotor.

A quick way to check for differences between passenger and driver side rotor contact is to use a digital thermometer to check rotor temperature immediately after driving several miles. If you have a friend with a similar vehicle you could check their rotor temperature after driving a similar distance/speed. This is certainly not a very accurate check, but I have seen a 100 degree difference between driver/passenger side when a caliper is dragging.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan