VCX Nano connection issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks - I am having some connection issues with my VCX Nano running Tech2Win on an old laptop. I am attempting to chase down a persistent misfire issue in my 04 Burb SLT AWD. Whenever I attempt to collect live data the VCX Nano always drops the signal - at best I can get about 30 secs of connectivity before it bumps me out. Sometimes it will reconnect on its own but other times I have to exit out of the data collection function and then enter back in. This connectivity is also preventing me from running the cam/crank relearn procedure as I cannot get it to complete the test before the connection is interrupted. The unit works well for all other functions except live data. I have read that aftermarket installs can cause this issue but my rig is totally stock except for a brake controller - unplugging this at the main harness in the drivers footwell has no effect. Am I missing something or is this a common issue with the VCXNano-Tech2Win platform?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks - I am having some connection issues with my VCX Nano running Tech2Win on an old laptop. I am attempting to chase down a persistent misfire issue in my 04 Burb SLT AWD. Whenever I attempt to collect live data the VCX Nano always drops the signal - at best I can get about 30 secs of connectivity before it bumps me out. Sometimes it will reconnect on its own but other times I have to exit out of the data collection function and then enter back in. This connectivity is also preventing me from running the cam/crank relearn procedure as I cannot get it to complete the test before the connection is interrupted. The unit works well for all other functions except live data. I have read that aftermarket installs can cause this issue but my rig is totally stock except for a brake controller - unplugging this at the main harness in the drivers footwell has no effect. Am I missing something or is this a common issue with the VCXNano-Tech2Win platform?
is the vcx software and firmware up to date? when you connect it to the computer and open the vcx program there is a option to update firmware, other than that maybe try a shorter high quality usb cable one with the thickest cable you can find, skinny cable usually means thinner wire.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, everything is up to date with the latest firmware and the licenses are valid. I’ve also tried a new cable to no avail. I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s a wiring issue on the truck side but I’m not sure where to start investigating.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, everything is up to date with the latest firmware and the licenses are valid. I’ve also tried a new cable to no avail. I have a sneaking suspicion that it’s a wiring issue on the truck side but I’m not sure where to start investigating.
check grounds the only thing that might cause communications issue's normally is the lan buss, if you poke around online there are a couple pins on the obd port that you can check the ohm's on to see if there is a short to ground somewhere. that's somewhere to start.
I have had my vcx for a while now and do not use it very often but the last time I cranked up the software it needed a firmware update and kept reporting poor communication I changed the cable and it updated.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do other scan tools connect and stay connected? Try a different device to see before jumping to conclusion that the OBDII port or wiring on the truck is an issue.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do other scan tools connect and stay connected? Try a different device to see before jumping to conclusion that the OBDII port or wiring on the truck is an issue.
Other devices and the VCXNano stay connected for all functions besides the live data collection. I haven’t had a chance to try out that function on another GM vehicle to see if it’s software/hardware or the truck.

OP
OP
S

shegarty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check grounds the only thing that might cause communications issue's normally is the lan buss, if you poke around online there are a couple pins on the obd port that you can check the ohm's on to see if there is a short to ground somewhere. that's somewhere to start.
I have had my vcx for a while now and do not use it very often but the last time I cranked up the software it needed a firmware update and kept reporting poor communication I changed the cable and it updated.
Thanks for this. I will do a search and see what I can come up with. I’ve been over most of the grounds due to a previous electrical issue (bad engine ground) but will have a look at them again.