VCM questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LilRed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a 99 Tahoe that I am needing to replace my 4L60E trans in. I was watching this youtube video after my boyfriend installed a trans & it went out almost immediately...
So I then checked my vcm & the original service # says it should be 12167310 or after 02/14/96 it could be 16244210 if updated. However, mine is 16263494. Do yall think this could be an issue? I called Chevy here but they were no help. Planning on checking around more tomorrow but I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum also. Also, any other tips on replacing my trans? Thanks in advance

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That VCM # issue is possible but unlikely. If your truck ran/worked correctly previously then the VCM was correct. Try car-part.com or gmparts direct or similar to verify better than utube.
If the original torque converter was reused, or the cooler was not flushed before new install , either could cause a fail. Codes are another issue, what codes were showing?
Lastly, it wouldn't be the first time a "rebuilt" failed quickly.
Good luck and keep posting.

Last edited:

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Astro work van and after the 3rd rebuilt transmission in less than a year the vcm was replaced along with the transmission and that was the fix. I don't remember the year of the van.