Vararam Tri-Power Install and Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a very unique intake and that ram type intake should provide more air once up to speed. I bet the induction noise sounds good!

Is it easy to change the filter element (oil or dry?) and I wonder how it will do in the rain.

BTW, good photos and looking forward to see updated reviews. Oh yeah, what other mods do you have? Include in your sig!

Vararam says it will be easy to access the filter but I dont know yet...it is an oiled filter which needs to be cleaned at every oil change...which is ok with me, just another excuse to work on the truck

only other mod that I have it the edge evolution programmer but it is on stock right now bc i want to see what this intake system will do on its own

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I just made right at 100 mile trip, put the edge evolution on economy mode and set the cruise at 70 mph

69 outside temp...77 IAT!
21.4 MPG!

before the intake with the programmer in economy it would run about 20.1 to 20.5 MPG

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the cleaning kit can be order from Vararam...i think it is 20 bucks or so shipped.

I am sure you can use K&N or any other brand but it will stain the filter a different color. (who really cares)

Its pretty basic to get the filter out. The front piece of the triangle box can be removed. Vararam claims it is easy to remove the filter but as you can see from the pics the filter will not come out due to the fan shroud.

All I did was loosen the hose clamps that connects the triangle box to the throttle body and the intake tubes. Remove the triangle box and then remove the three screws on the front plate of the triangle box. Reinstall is just the reverse.

It could definitely be easier with another system but I dont mind because I enjoy maintaining my truck.

Hope this helps!

BTW...I still love the intake! I have added a BB tune and corsa sport exhaust and don't regret any of the mods.

And those worried out water ingestion....has yet to happen and I have driven in some hellacious rain storms at highway speeds.

MiamiDave

Reaction score
Was hoping it was not an oiled filter; I've has some issues in the past. Does it have a matching paper element, or is it proprietary to V-Ram?

Also, ram-air has been debated, and it seems to still be a hotly contested topic, among vette owners, crotch rockets, etc.

Cooler air is king, and the quicker you can get lower ambient temp across the MAF and into the engine before it heats up, the less timing pulled and more power made. The vararam has this going for it big time.

Water ingestion *might* only be an issue if you submerge the scoops (and both, at that, I believe) both while the engine is under a high load. Like anything, it's possible but rain is not an issue. For 'vettes there was a concerning about deep puddles, due to the bottom feeder arrangement only a few inches above the pavement.

It's great times we live in with you guys monitoring IATs-back in the day we didn't have those capabilities (dated myself, but been hotrodding FI engines for a while) :Handshake:

Great review, and sorry for the partial hi-jack!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne