Value? 96 Tahoe Two door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alsbirdie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
Not sure where to post or how to get help, never had this situation. Yesterday I totaled my 96 Tahoe two door. Besides a broken heart, I will survive. I have full coverage on it. However, I am worried about the insurance company trying to tell me that its a 96 and has no or very little value. How do I go about proving that there is more value to it. Yes I have pictures but they are fighting me about everything and i want to be prepare. I dont think all my repair records will do me good.

Has anyone (I really hope not but...) had this experience. Nothing will replace this vehicle, but I need to not have them give me a thousand bucks, it is my only car and was in perfect running condition. I was down to new paint at this point.
Thank you

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen this before, and what you are describing is pretty much how it goes. Now matter what it costs to replace it they will give what their book lists, which is probably a couple thousand, or less. I actually would not have had full coverage on it myself, waste of premium money there. If the accident was not your fault and it was hit hard, might have been better to report an injury - for obvious reasons.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Maybe you can try and look at selling prices from other 2 doors online in similar condition as yours was, and show them that info when they low ball you.

97YukonNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss.
Would it be worth canceling the claim?
Has the 2 door got the value of parts that the insurance company are going to pay you out in money?
If you were able to find a replacement vehicle around the same year you could donor any salvageable parts on to your new.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, find out the buyback number amount. Next, submit all parts receipts purchased for truck in last 2 years. I'm not sure if they pay shop labor on that, but I beleive they do, just not your labor. Good Luck!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check bringatrailer.com if you want the high-end prices.

Otherwise get a bunch of ads together for comparable trucks and use that as your replacement cost. Find your policy and read the fine print to see what loopholes they’ll use.

Good luck, I’ve wondered about this myself.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to Kelly Blue Book and check the value. Then find some that are comparable in condition and mileage to yours and print out the ads. Show them to the insurance company since that what it will cost to replace your vehicle. That may help you some. Also, a lot will depend on who your insurance is with and what coverages you have. Remember, whatever they give you will be minus your deductible. Also, more information might help us help you. Was someone else at fault? Single car accident? How do you know it's totaled so fast? Can you buy it back and transfer all your newer parts over to a new vehicle? There are so many variables when it comes to insurance. If by some chance it isn't totaled ask to use the body shop of your choice and use original GM parts if available. Really all depends on your policy.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your accident.

At the end of the day, it will all depend on what kind of coverage you have and what is spelled out in your policy. Carefully read your policy and make sure you understand exactly what the coverage is so you’re prepared for the conversation. If you don’t like their offer, you can refuse it, but they will likely go with Actual Cash Value and on a 26 year old vehicle, being in great condition for its age, will only account for so much because in their eyes it is still a 26 year old vehicle. If it was insured as a classic car, that may make a difference, but typically they won’t do that if it’s a daily driver.

OP
OP
A

alsbirdie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I am afraid of this being a live and learn, only because I went through this way back with another car. Someone was at fault, me , unfortunately. The brakes failed, I had the master cylinder replaced five Mo ago. I saw the traffic slowing way ahead and slowed down but when it came time to brake- nothing, nada, and I used the truck in front of me to stop me. Not a great scenario. The policeman looked at me like ya sure when I told him the brakes failed. No skid marks (the front tires of the car in front of me) no brake squealing, and no cell phone use in car. Not like I wasn't paying attention. it was like slow motion.

I hit the truck full on front end to his bumper and it completely crunched my front end. Could not get the driver door open and even the rear barn doors dont match up anymore. I am going to have them check the brakes .

I went on ebay and screen shot similar vehicles found a 96 2 door with 200 k miles at 13, 200. and several others in the 96-99 range. I did not have it registered as classic or historic, plates are due in July and I was going to rotate it over then (could have should have doesn't make any difference now )

Answering the other question, I do have every garage receipt for everything done on it since I purchased it, and most of the work was done in the last four years. Transmission, water pump, starter, alternator , ac . all the ball joints bushings wheel bearings arms the works, the gaskets and seals on the engine. Basically everything but the motor itself.

Mostly I am just sick about it. I had to go clean it out today, and it made me sad . Took me a year to find it to begin with and have been driving it for ten years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9