Valley pan gasket replacement -- what else proactively?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2003 Yukon Denali XL 187,000

Planning to replace a leaking valley pan gasket soon. Been living with a small leak for a long time; but I'm finally tired of the drips...

What other proactive repairs might you suggest while the thing's torn apart? I generally don't believe in fixing it if it ain't broke...but if it might break soon and I'm already in there...well...

That said, here's a short list of items in that area coming to mind that I've already repaired or replaced in the last 1-4 years...

-Throttle body
-Intake manifold gasket
-Oil pressure sending unit
-Knock sensors
-Valve covers/gaskets
-Sparks and wires

Any other recommendations? (TIA!)

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Knock sensor gaskets. The internal ones, not the water-diaphragm. When I did mine, it wasn't included with the valley pan kit.

Oil pressure sending unit honestly isn't needed - can get to it easily without removing the intake. Though I see you've done it. Can get to the camshaft position sensor without removing the intake as well, so can skip that.

If you have the intake off, wouldn't be a bad idea to do the injector o-rings.

See if a shop around you has a parts cleaner, or get some elbow grease in there and see about scrubbing the guts. PCV is going to put some schmoo in there over time. Can be reduced with a catch-can if you care. I think '03 has egr? That'll add a LOT of junk to the intake. My personal preference would be to delete + tune it out. I don't care for egr.

Realistically... That's about all I can think of without scope creep. Especially given that you've done most any other 'while I'm there' item I can think of.

Oh and I seem to recall a TSB about the foam air-dams under the intake and trapping moisture. Might be worth a google poke.

OP
OP
drno4

drno4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Knock sensor gaskets. The internal ones, not the water-diaphragm. When I did mine, it wasn't included with the valley pan kit.

Oil pressure sending unit honestly isn't needed - can get to it easily without removing the intake. Though I see you've done it. Can get to the camshaft position sensor without removing the intake as well, so can skip that.

If you have the intake off, wouldn't be a bad idea to do the injector o-rings.

See if a shop around you has a parts cleaner, or get some elbow grease in there and see about scrubbing the guts. PCV is going to put some schmoo in there over time. Can be reduced with a catch-can if you care. I think '03 has egr? That'll add a LOT of junk to the intake. My personal preference would be to delete + tune it out. I don't care for egr.

Realistically... That's about all I can think of without scope creep. Especially given that you've done most any other 'while I'm there' item I can think of.

Oh and I seem to recall a TSB about the foam air-dams under the intake and trapping moisture. Might be worth a google poke.

Thanks, boss! I appreciate you and the others who have also chimed in. Peace!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You said "repaired or replaced" throttle body. Do the repair harness for the throttle body if you have not done that. It is recommended when replacing throttle body and another thread had that go bad without even messing with the throttle body. You also said replaced the knock sensors. Did you do those harnesses as well?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1217527&cc=1415551&pt=2603&jsn=1034, Hell I would do the oil sensor harness too.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12392909&cc=1415551&pt=13326&jsn=1026, knock sensors

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10566160&cc=1415551&pt=21795&jsn=1080, throttle body

I really really really do like to spend OPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518