Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread we replaced the condenser in the Yukon. After experiencing many delays and with the sun coming down, I opted to not install the new accumulator and had to re use the line between it and the condenser as the new one had one fitting clocked differently. We used its gaskets and o-rings and compared its filters to the old ones which were still pristine and devoid of debris. There was but a drop or two of oil that came out of the condenser so we did not add oil to the system either but I still may because one of the last big leaks it lost about an ounce.

After the 4th 12 ounce can went in the gauges sat at about 38 psi and 211 psi respectively and it was 84 degrees or so with near 100% humidity. The low side was in the 40s from the 2nd and 3rd cans and don't remember while filling the 4th. Commanded temp was 50 degrees and actual was 46. The chill is back but will check it over again tomorrow in daylight.

While evacuating the system we torqued the intake manifold again. We've done it several times in as many years and I do not remember it being a two-step process. If it is now and wasn't then, that's a benefit I guess of having the online shop manual from All-Data-DIY as it gets updated. Some of the intake manifold bolts needed a little tightening and after she came up to temp the LTFTs settled down to their usual negative 7s and 9s. The night before it was more than twice that.

Not sure my girls have the patience for that project, to replace the intake gaskets.

Somewhere along the way we disrupted an airbag sensor somehow. It threw a code B0083 symptom 39. I'll check the wiring tomorrow when it gets light out but looks like another $159 is coming to Rock Auto.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've been recording data for some time now and always glad when something new becomes apparent. Came across a post this year where it was said that the computer system has a high and low alcohol content tables and that running 50% alcohol is no different than running 80%. So I looked at our logs and it became apparent that this is so on the Sierra but with the Yukon it doesn't seem to matter between 40% and more. E70 includes fuel with an alcohol content of 51% or more to 70%.

Still trying to run more mixes with the Sierra at E15 levels, the Apple IOS phone was not talking to the Foseal OBD WIFI adapter so I bought a Foseal Bluetooth adapter and it works now. So I expect to be able to get more accurate data from the Sierra from now on. According to the data, the Sierra may get its best economy on E15 and maybe E50.

Appreciate any and all input.

View attachment 345756

View attachment 345757

These alcohol content figures are as physically measured or with what the PCM is reporting?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Computer. We do spot check now here and there off the fuel rail and the computers have been very very close.

Nice. I haven't tried mine again since that time about a year ago when it was stuck around a calculated ~22% with a measured ~65%. I'm starting to wonder if I have a leaky intake manifold gasket. I've gotten an "insufficient switching O2 sensor" code for bank 2 a few times over the past year. It would clear itself and seems to be during extended periods of low-load operation. I swapped the sensors around during an oil change 5K ago and the same code reappeared once not long ago. I'm wondering if I have some sort of small leak on the RH bank that is affecting the way the alcohol content is calculated. I'd surely like to get the full benefit of E85.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 120 mile run to make yesterday. Remote started the truck twice and then about 5 more minutes before I got inside. It was 103 outside and warm inside. Once the truck was started and the AC set to 64, it wasn't really cooling down like I remembered when we first got it. My memory ain't what it once was either! Once we got underway and up to speed the chill could now be felt. At idle, the commanded temp was 35 and actual was about 60 but the numbers got closer together once on the highway.

Fuel trims also tightened up, fuel pump was running 42-44 psi with a LT Trim of 1.43, which is lower than it had been previously.

We started out with 25% of fuel on board and the spare was still in the garage with all the tools so the truck was pretty light back there. We were pleasantly rewarded with a very nice ride despite being so light in the back. Since the front and rear were done two months apart, we can compare the differences each made to ride and comfort and would say that the rears definitely needed replacing more than the front!

Next is to replace the inner tie rods and boots, get it aligned and then new wheels, sensors and another set of KO2s.

Been hemming and hawing over taller tires and installing that leveling kit but my wife and I sometimes have enough trouble with it stock. We'll just have to take the easier trails should we ever get to Moab or Imogene Trail and such!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a little road trip with my daughter Julia. For about a year I'd been eyeing 9.5 inch Saginaw 14-Bolt Semi-Floaters on LKQ Online and there were a few in Fort Myers at one yard and another in Melbourne. The latter one recently sold and they dropped the prices on the other two to less than $300! So I called and bought one that came out of a 2011 Escalade ESV. That was last week, we ran over today and picked it up.

Julia again learned why I prefer the six and a half foot beds (we had to leave the tailgate down) and how slowing down actually increases your gas mileage! Our 2-way average in the lifted Sierra over 273 miles was 14.60 mpg. 14.82 there and 14.39 back.

The backing plates are wrecked and an axle seal is leaking. It came with the swaybar, panhard bar and upper and lower control arms. The brackets look to be in good shape, you can tell the axle was dragged while probably still attached to the truck. There's little slop and the axle spins the yoke easily. I figured it would for 142K and out of an Escalade driven by a local doctor. It comes with a time and mileage warranty but I have no plans to put it under the Yukon until winter at the earliest. I'll take my time dismantling and inspecting it and making it ready for the truck and will probably put 3.73 gears in it.

There's still another one at that yard for under $300 fellas! LKQ wants $800 for 8.6s with 3.08 gears! LOL

20210809_193625.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just got back from a little road trip with my daughter Julia. For about a year I'd been eyeing 9.5 inch Saginaw 14-Bolt Semi-Floaters on LKQ Online and there were a few in Fort Myers at one yard and another in Melbourne. The latter one recently sold and they dropped the prices on the other two to less than $300! So I called and bought one that came out of a 2011 Escalade ESV. That was last week, we ran over today and picked it up.

Julia again learned why I prefer the six and a half foot beds (we had to leave the tailgate down) and how slowing down actually increases your gas mileage! Our 2-way average in the lifted Sierra over 273 miles was 14.60 mpg. 14.82 there and 14.39 back.

The backing plates are wrecked and an axle seal is leaking. It came with the swaybar, panhard bar and upper and lower control arms. The brackets look to be in good shape, you can tell the axle was dragged while probably still attached to the truck. There's little slop and the axle spins the yoke easily. I figured it would for 142K and out of an Escalade driven by a local doctor. It comes with a time and mileage warranty but I have no plans to put it under the Yukon until winter at the earliest. I'll take my time dismantling and inspecting it and making it ready for the truck and will probably put 3.73 gears in it.

There's still another one at that yard for under $300 fellas! LKQ wants $800 for 8.6s with 3.08 gears! LOL

View attachment 347261
What gears did it come with James? 3.08's?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What gears did it come with James? 3.08's?
All the AXNs in the Cadillacs and Denalis came with 3.42 gears. There might have been some Avalanches with the 6.0 L76 with 3.73s in 2007-2008 but don't remember for sure and there's not many around anyway to bother with unless spotted at a yard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons