Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to report lately with the Yukon. We completed the front suspension overhaul and will soon be doing the rear and replacing the inner tie rods up front with Rough Country sleeves. When that is done I'll order up some new OE wheels and put another set of KO2s on it and of course have it aligned. Also figuring out the cost and logistics of rebuilding the front differential, replacing the rear with a 14-bolt and re-gearing both to 3.73s.

The Sierra went to Daytona and the girls had a good time and honored their parents, thank you Lord! Julia purchased and put rock lights on it and has since put black decals over part of the Sierra and SLT badges, leaving chrome on the sides. Yeah, I know about the beads, they were mostly earned by their friends whose manner of attire left little to the imagination. :rolleyes:

The rock lights are controlled by an app on her phone and can change color and be synched with music.

View attachment 305675View attachment 305676 View attachment 305677View attachment 305678

Smiles per gallon! Numerous Ford and Dodge trucks and even a Duramax or two have fallen to this beast already, probably more than I'm told! The only thing is, it has to be refueled every two days, reminds me of the USS Coontz! She's burned almost 800 gallons of fuel since April! LOL Oh, and she's already pulled a soy boy out of a ditch. He was probably updating his facebook account when he veered off the road in his little Honda Civic. A RWD Chevy pulled up first but the roads were too slick for him but he had a tow strap which enabled Julia to pull the poor sap out and get him back on his way. Since then, I don't think I'll be getting mine back, or the tow shackle and hook!
Is the yellow flag the "Don't tread on me" flag? My father -rip- loved that flag.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s great being proud of what your children do and seeing them with the same interests you have. They learn to be what they see.

Except for our oldest! That one rejected everything we taught her and insists on doing things the wrong way repeatedly! LOL! In time, we hope she comes around.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago we had intermittent service when using the Tech-2 on GMT-800 type vehicles, anything that did not use the Can Bus system. Finally it stopped working and it could not talk to our Pontiac Montana, a '99 Silverado that was stuck in 4x4 or the fellas over in Okeechobee that needed my help last year. So when one of them contacted me for help again, I remembered to order one. They are getting scarce and this one came from China even though I made strides to order one through Amazon and a US seller. Well, after several weeks it finally arrived and it talks to the Montana so we're good to go on those older vehicles again. I'll test it out with the Candi still attached in a little while on the Yukon.

Been wanting to replace the rear shocks and springs and re seal the AC condenser but it is way too hot out and I've hurt my knee. Got a doctor's appointment next week for my failing eye sight and then the next day for the dealer to replace the airbag and replace an exhaust manifold gasket. Also going to order up the inner tie rods and some sleeves and do both trucks at the same time and get them both aligned. Then plan on ordering re-conditioned factory wheels for mine, new TPM sensors and put on another set of KO2s. Going to replace the front two tires on the Sierra with same, they are worn down more then the rear and dry rotted some.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the first time in four years my truck got 20 mpg at 71 mph today! LOL

Intake gasket is probably leaking, exhaust gasket leaking, fuel trims off as is the alignment and she delivered 20.1 mpg @ 71 mph with an alcohol content that started at 28% and then was 24% by the time we got home and don't think it's finished calculating yet.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to have a looksee under the truck and put a wrench on the oil cooler bolts, they were slightly loose and you could see where the oil was leaking from the gasket.

Today was my appointment with the dealer to check over the AC system in the truck. About two weeks ago I replaced the service port with a new one and evacuated and re-charged the system. The mechanic said the system passed all tests and was 1/2 pound low on refrigerant. They also looked over the truck and said my driver's side motor mount was in 2 pieces (I knew it needed changing) and a license plate bulb was out and my mode actuator was acting up (knew about that too). Money well spent.

Without getting into boring details, I had to drive the Sierra to and from the dealer to pick up the Yukon. Nice sitting up so high and man o' man that 6.2 can giddy up! But when it came time to get out, I did so without the step ladder and hurt my back.

Spoke with the body shop and they gave me an estimate of $475 to paint the new bumper cover coming from Rock Auto. Another shop quoted $400. That's $200-300 more than I was figuring for this overhaul and now have to add $200 in motor mounts.

The Sierra is on its second tank of E85, getting 8.8 MPG with lots of idling! But boy does it run like a scalded dog! This thing will light up the 35" mud-terrains if you ease into it too fast.

It's muffler will soon be removed according to my daughter and replaced with a straight pipe while keeping the three cats and resonator.
Three cats? Is that normal on the new ones or some Cali regulated vehicle?

No need for the step ladder, you just need some airbags to drop the suspension down low enough, so then all you can take the same distance of a step down to the ground as you do to running boards. Coming up next week on “Pimp James’ Ride”…

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three cats? Is that normal on the new ones or some Cali regulated vehicle?

No need for the step ladder, you just need some airbags to drop the suspension down low enough, so then all you can take the same distance of a step down to the ground as you do to running boards. Coming up next week on “Pimp James’ Ride”…
Well, as far as I know, all the 900s have three cats. 2 that are monitored by O2 sensors and one downstream from them in front of the muffler.

1626867121111.png

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just dropped off my truck at a local mechanic. The fellow has a good reputation and worked on the truck before. I hate letting someone else under the hood but this repair of the exhaust manifold gasket seems too difficult for me now, especially if a bolt breaks off in the head. That's the consolation I guess. Don't get old you young fellas and more importantly, don't let your wife's good cookin' add too much to your belt line!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094