Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
End of an Era. Today we said goodbye to our 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 Sport. We purchased it new and it was a pleasure to drive when it worked. This van with its extended warranty let us drive a great many brand new GM offerings such as the big Cadillac DTS, the sporty CTS, an H3 Hummer, Trailblazers and even some Dodge offerings when Enterprise was out of GM cars but we kept that under wraps until now. It was very comfortable, made plenty of power and was good on gas. We traveled quite a bit with it in the earlier years. It had HD cooling and towing options and we towed with it once and it did just fine. It was our first vehicle with remote start and also had the Canbus computer system, being a combination of GMT800 and GMT900 in architecture and styling.

In 2005, we traveled to New York and rented the newly restyled 2005 model. After visiting the USS Ling one day it was loaded up with our kids and nieces and nephews and it was eerily quiet back there. My wife and I asked the kids if they wanted to go to Chuck-E-Cheese and crickets. They were all glued to the tv screen watching a movie! We had to turn it off to get their attention. Coolest thing since sliced bread!

A few years ago the forward apply band inside the transmission broke and the van would now only drive if one manually selected 2nd gear and that's where it stayed. I wanted to fix it, knew how, but was physically unable to. And so it sat, first in the garage and then outside. With the arrival of the Sierra, it was time to make room on the driveway and so we called the scrap man to come and get it. We let him know that the engine was good and is a favorite of those restoring Fieros but the driver said they are going through 300 cars a week and the cat and maybe the airbags will be pulled and the rest crushed. And so, an inglorious ending to what later turned out to be a reliable car. I had no sooner gotten the check from the scrap man when I learned that my wife and daughters already had it spent!

Rock Auto got my business again for the motor mounts and likely will for all of the suspension parts that they carry. I can save a few bucks buying the last one of this from this guy and the last one from that guy but don't want parts that while they are the same, may be years apart in age from sitting on a shelf. I'm not even sure I can physically do the work but will sure try before bringing in some help! We shall see.
Did you keep that airline hose and gauge at least?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes, we put them in the other Montana. Still have one left! The missus wants to hit 200K and then retire it. Four thousand miles to go. We've had a Montana in the driveway for nineteen years now.
Why retire it? I'd keep it til it couldn't go anymore.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why retire it? I'd keep it til it couldn't go anymore.

I'd like to put her in a Denali. The '04 Montana is the Luxury model, heated seats and all leather but the suspension needs a complete overhaul and she won't let me spend a nickel on it other than oil changes. The Denali will be more comfortable and safer and of course, newer. It's got to have power running boards, they open lower than stock which will help her bad knee and hip. Considered the Terrain but it's just too small. And there are more issues with the Enclave/Acadia than there are with ours.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to put her in a Denali. The '04 Montana is the Luxury model, heated seats and all leather but the suspension needs a complete overhaul and she won't let me spend a nickel on it other than oil changes. The Denali will be more comfortable and safer and of course, newer. It's got to have power running boards, they open lower than stock which will help her bad knee and hip. Considered the Terrain but it's just too small. And there are more issues with the Enclave/Acadia than there are with ours.
Seems like a logical conclusion.. [emoji16][emoji6]

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a logical conclusion.. [emoji16][emoji6]

My only concern is that our fuel bill may triple. When she drives my truck, she consistently gets 1.5-2 MPG less per gallon whether it be driving to work for the week or a highway run somewhere. She says she likes the sound of the engine. When she hears and feels the 6.2 in a Denali, what then? LOL

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only concern is that our fuel bill may triple. When she drives my truck, she consistently gets 1.5-2 MPG less per gallon whether it be driving to work for the week or a highway run somewhere. She says she likes the sound of the engine. When she hears and feels the 6.2 in a Denali, what then? LOL
[emoji1787]

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much to report lately with the Yukon. We completed the front suspension overhaul and will soon be doing the rear and replacing the inner tie rods up front with Rough Country sleeves. When that is done I'll order up some new OE wheels and put another set of KO2s on it and of course have it aligned. Also figuring out the cost and logistics of rebuilding the front differential, replacing the rear with a 14-bolt and re-gearing both to 3.73s.

The Sierra went to Daytona and the girls had a good time and honored their parents, thank you Lord! Julia purchased and put rock lights on it and has since put black decals over part of the Sierra and SLT badges, leaving chrome on the sides. Yeah, I know about the beads, they were mostly earned by their friends whose manner of attire left little to the imagination. :rolleyes:

The rock lights are controlled by an app on her phone and can change color and be synched with music.

204809000_1709803355870053_7760055450262004194_n(1).jpgimage1.jpeg 203157608_2854310028121634_5692003467659390224_n.jpg203713788_973264406763145_5583945981311927516_n.jpg

Smiles per gallon! Numerous Ford and Dodge trucks and even a Duramax or two have fallen to this beast already, probably more than I'm told! The only thing is, it has to be refueled every two days, reminds me of the USS Coontz! She's burned almost 800 gallons of fuel since April! LOL Oh, and she's already pulled a soy boy out of a ditch. He was probably updating his facebook account when he veered off the road in his little Honda Civic. A RWD Chevy pulled up first but the roads were too slick for him but he had a tow strap which enabled Julia to pull the poor sap out and get him back on his way. Since then, I don't think I'll be getting mine back, or the tow shackle and hook!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much to report lately with the Yukon. We completed the front suspension overhaul and will soon be doing the rear and replacing the inner tie rods up front with Rough Country sleeves. When that is done I'll order up some new OE wheels and put another set of KO2s on it and of course have it aligned. Also figuring out the cost and logistics of rebuilding the front differential, replacing the rear with a 14-bolt and re-gearing both to 3.73s.

The Sierra went to Daytona and the girls had a good time and honored their parents, thank you Lord! Julia purchased and put rock lights on it and has since put black decals over part of the Sierra and SLT badges, leaving chrome on the sides. Yeah, I know about the beads, they were mostly earned by their friends whose manner of attire left little to the imagination. :rolleyes:

The rock lights are controlled by an app on her phone and can change color and be synched with music.

View attachment 305675View attachment 305676 View attachment 305677View attachment 305678

Smiles per gallon! Numerous Ford and Dodge trucks and even a Duramax or two have fallen to this beast already, probably more than I'm told! The only thing is, it has to be refueled every two days, reminds me of the USS Coontz! She's burned almost 800 gallons of fuel since April! LOL Oh, and she's already pulled a soy boy out of a ditch. He was probably updating his facebook account when he veered off the road in his little Honda Civic. A RWD Chevy pulled up first but the roads were too slick for him but he had a tow strap which enabled Julia to pull the poor sap out and get him back on his way. Since then, I don't think I'll be getting mine back, or the tow shackle and hook!

Amazing looking truck, James.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972