Useless Information

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She lets you get in it? ;)

Yeah, I got to sit up front and run the Tech-2 and last night sat in the back with my wife. She hopped right in like the kids despite her knee. We are looking to take both trucks out into the woods tomorrow afternoon so I may get to sit in the driver's seat yet!

That glorious 6.2 can spin those 35s at the light. What an engine!

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a peak under the truck and noticed that the pinion seal was no longer leaking but the rear output shaft seal on the transfer case was still leaking. Backed the truck up onto the ramps and changed the seal. Put it all back together and took her out for a test run through the neighborhood.

About an hour later I took my wife to pick up dinner and followed the same path out of the neighborhood. On the ground approaching the first and continuing on to just past the second stop sign were signs of oil on the ground, streaming from a vehicle? What kind of oil? Was it mine? Truck drove fine seven miles out and back and had my daughter have a look underneath when we got back.

Rear output seal looked fine but there was a lot of oil on the chassis and front sway bar around the oil filter area. I reckon that either the oil cooler line gasket or the oil cooler lines themselves have finally given way. Will get her back up on the ramps and have a look later today.

The Sierra runs and sounds sweet.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the slow ride to getting better. Keep fighting. Congrats on the unicorn. I’ve never heard of that combo. Someone must have ordered it. Gotta love 2600 miles in 3 days.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with George- glad to see that the truck was actually better than it appeared. Congrats on a great find! The PO wanting to discuss it speaks volumes about how it was cared for.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to have a looksee under the truck and put a wrench on the oil cooler bolts, they were slightly loose and you could see where the oil was leaking from the gasket.

Today was my appointment with the dealer to check over the AC system in the truck. About two weeks ago I replaced the service port with a new one and evacuated and re-charged the system. The mechanic said the system passed all tests and was 1/2 pound low on refrigerant. They also looked over the truck and said my driver's side motor mount was in 2 pieces (I knew it needed changing) and a license plate bulb was out and my mode actuator was acting up (knew about that too). Money well spent.

Without getting into boring details, I had to drive the Sierra to and from the dealer to pick up the Yukon. Nice sitting up so high and man o' man that 6.2 can giddy up! But when it came time to get out, I did so without the step ladder and hurt my back.

Spoke with the body shop and they gave me an estimate of $475 to paint the new bumper cover coming from Rock Auto. Another shop quoted $400. That's $200-300 more than I was figuring for this overhaul and now have to add $200 in motor mounts.

The Sierra is on its second tank of E85, getting 8.8 MPG with lots of idling! But boy does it run like a scalded dog! This thing will light up the 35" mud-terrains if you ease into it too fast.

It's muffler will soon be removed according to my daughter and replaced with a straight pipe while keeping the three cats and resonator.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to have a looksee under the truck and put a wrench on the oil cooler bolts, they were slightly loose and you could see where the oil was leaking from the gasket.

Today was my appointment with the dealer to check over the AC system in the truck. About two weeks ago I replaced the service port with a new one and evacuated and re-charged the system. The mechanic said the system passed all tests and was 1/2 pound low on refrigerant. They also looked over the truck and said my driver's side motor mount was in 2 pieces (I knew it needed changing) and a license plate bulb was out and my mode actuator was acting up (knew about that too). Money well spent.

Without getting into boring details, I had to drive the Sierra to and from the dealer to pick up the Yukon. Nice sitting up so high and man o' man that 6.2 can giddy up! But when it came time to get out, I did so without the step ladder and hurt my back.

Spoke with the body shop and they gave me an estimate of $475 to paint the new bumper cover coming from Rock Auto. Another shop quoted $400. That's $200-300 more than I was figuring for this overhaul and now have to add $200 in motor mounts.

The Sierra is on its second tank of E85, getting 8.8 MPG with lots of idling! But boy does it run like a scalded dog! This thing will light up the 35" mud-terrains if you ease into it too fast.

It's muffler will soon be removed according to my daughter and replaced with a straight pipe while keeping the three cats and resonator.

How DOES a scalded dog run? o_O

Reaction score

What motor mounts are you planning to go with, and are you gonna do it yourself with daughtet help or have a shop do it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What motor mounts are you planning to go with, and are you gonna do it yourself with daughtet help or have a shop do it?

We're going to do it and will be using the original, fluid filled ones that everyone hates. Figure I'll do them at the same time we do the oil cooler lines. Have to decide how fast I need them, Amazon or Rock Auto. I better check the mounts in the Sierra, might put solid ones in that one but my daughter will have to decide.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
End of an Era. Today we said goodbye to our 2006 Pontiac Montana SV6 Sport. We purchased it new and it was a pleasure to drive when it worked. This van with its extended warranty let us drive a great many brand new GM offerings such as the big Cadillac DTS, the sporty CTS, an H3 Hummer, Trailblazers and even some Dodge offerings when Enterprise was out of GM cars but we kept that under wraps until now. It was very comfortable, made plenty of power and was good on gas. We traveled quite a bit with it in the earlier years. It had HD cooling and towing options and we towed with it once and it did just fine. It was our first vehicle with remote start and also had the Canbus computer system, being a combination of GMT800 and GMT900 in architecture and styling.

In 2005, we traveled to New York and rented the newly restyled 2005 model. After visiting the USS Ling one day it was loaded up with our kids and nieces and nephews and it was eerily quiet back there. My wife and I asked the kids if they wanted to go to Chuck-E-Cheese and crickets. They were all glued to the tv screen watching a movie! We had to turn it off to get their attention. Coolest thing since sliced bread!

A few years ago the forward apply band inside the transmission broke and the van would now only drive if one manually selected 2nd gear and that's where it stayed. I wanted to fix it, knew how, but was physically unable to. And so it sat, first in the garage and then outside. With the arrival of the Sierra, it was time to make room on the driveway and so we called the scrap man to come and get it. We let him know that the engine was good and is a favorite of those restoring Fieros but the driver said they are going through 300 cars a week and the cat and maybe the airbags will be pulled and the rest crushed. And so, an inglorious ending to what later turned out to be a reliable car. I had no sooner gotten the check from the scrap man when I learned that my wife and daughters already had it spent!

Rock Auto got my business again for the motor mounts and likely will for all of the suspension parts that they carry. I can save a few bucks buying the last one of this from this guy and the last one from that guy but don't want parts that while they are the same, may be years apart in age from sitting on a shelf. I'm not even sure I can physically do the work but will sure try before bringing in some help! We shall see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos

Latest posts