Upper Rear Control Arm/Track Arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well here is the feedback after installing the new "straight" upper track bars. The clunk has gone away, and the ride has improved even further.

What did I learn? Well I learned that I can use either the dog legged track bar, or the tubular "straight" track bar. Upon inspection the ends of the tubular bar are welded at an angle, where the dog legged one is designed, well.... with a dog leg. Now, that being said.....I am very pleased. It seems that GM designed the dog legged part after the inception of our body style. My guess is that it was a cost savings event that drove to the new revision. Cast parts are cheaper to create and supply, than manually welded tubular steel. The tubular unit weighs more than the cast dog leg, and the bushings appear to be of better quality. I am pleased with my decision, and the Mevotech part seems like very good quality, solid construction. The dog legged part was $42 on Amazon, and the Mevo straight bar was $60 on Amazon. I hope this helps, if you have the same decision to make.

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Moog RK series new in box, but was considering returning them since the RK series is the budget series. I noticed there are no quality OEM replacements anymore. Can you even get bushings for these? I saw the trackbar has separate bushings you can buy, which I have, so I will stick with OEM on that.

Are the trackbar bushings the same?

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Moog RK series new in box, but was considering returning them since the RK series is the budget series. I noticed there are no quality OEM replacements anymore. Can you even get bushings for these? I saw the trackbar has separate bushings you can buy, which I have, so I will stick with OEM on that.
@ls1frc I would return those to get the CK series, they are the real deal. Just redid my front with CK series

ls1frc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ls1frc I would return those to get the CK series, they are the real deal. Just redid my front with CK series

Just realized my post wasn't clear I was talking about rear.

My entire front was redone with the CK series, but there is no CK series for the rear. Just RK.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@lamerem When does your truck clunk? I have 2 clunks; 1 when taking off from a stop and the 2nd track bar clunks when my tahoes rocks from side to side.
the solution to the track bar clunk is to tighten the bolts down more and/or replace it with a new bar and tighten the new bar up real good, if it still clunks then it's not tight enough.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the solution to the track bar clunk is to tighten the bolts down more and/or replace it with a new bar and tighten the new bar up real good, if it still clunks then it's not tight enough.
@ls1frc You are totally right, that's strange they wouldn't make premium parts for the rear also. I have heard good things about Mavotech, might be worth a look.

@Doubeleive I ended up finding that my adjustable rear track bar wasn't getting tight enough on the mounting bolts. I went and got some heavy duty ass washers from ACE hardware and reinstalled my adjustable track bar and tightened the shit out of it when I reinstalled it. Now it only clunks when the joint hits the body mount, much better than before. I am not sure why the kit didn't include washers - without the washers the trackbar was wallowing out the track bar mounts.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ls1frc You are totally right, that's strange they wouldn't make premium parts for the rear also. I have heard good things about Mavotech, might be worth a look.

@Doubeleive I ended up finding that my adjustable rear track bar wasn't getting tight enough on the mounting bolts. I went and got some heavy duty ass washers from ACE hardware and reinstalled my adjustable track bar and tightened the shit out of it when I reinstalled it. Now it only clunks when the joint hits the body mount, much better than before. I am not sure why the kit didn't include washers - without the washers the trackbar was wallowing out the track bar mounts.
probably time for a new one it shouldn't do that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9