Upper Rear Control Arm/Track Arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beyond annoyed at this point.

2011 Tahoe, LT, 4WD with stock suspension components.

I am replacing the upper control arms/track arms (whatever you choose to call them). The issue I am having is there are apparently 2 different iterations of them. One that is straight, and one that is dog legged. I ordered the straight one, and the dog legged one was shipped to me.

The one on my vehicle is currently the straight arm. Now, on the GM Parts Direct website it says one pictured as the dog legged arm says "2nd Design", and when I click on it the picture of the straight arm pops up, lol.

Now, that being said the dog legged one is a dime a dozen, and the straight a little harder to find. Are they interchangeable?

Track Arm 1.JPG Track Arm 2.JPG

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the Mevotech is actually the one I have pictured above.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am beyond annoyed at this point.

2011 Tahoe, LT, 4WD with stock suspension components.

I am replacing the upper control arms/track arms (whatever you choose to call them). The issue I am having is there are apparently 2 different iterations of them. One that is straight, and one that is dog legged. I ordered the straight one, and the dog legged one was shipped to me.

The one on my vehicle is currently the straight arm. Now, on the GM Parts Direct website it says one pictured as the dog legged arm says "2nd Design", and when I click on it the picture of the straight arm pops up, lol.

Now, that being said the dog legged one is a dime a dozen, and the straight a little harder to find. Are they interchangeable?

View attachment 261511 View attachment 261512
@lamerem As you can see here for the rear: the lower control arms are straight and the upper control arms have the bend in them. Are you saying that on your Tahoe your rear uppers are straight?

Are you talking about the track bar? It runs parallel to the rear axle from the driver side axle to the passenger side body mount.
View attachment 262233

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I just changed all four arms on my 2005 Z71 and the upper arms were dog legged and the lowers were straight. I call them "locating arms" because it locates the axle to the frame and the track bar is there to control the track of the axle from side to side. At RA they are called control arms but identify as rear instead of front.

As I look up the arms for my rig and yours, the part numbers are the same. The AC Delco lower straight arm is 45D10160 and the AC Delco upper dog leg arm is 45D10231

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@lamerem As you can see here for the rear: the lower control arms are straight and the upper control arms have the bend in them. Are you saying that on your Tahoe your rear uppers are straight?

Are you talking about the track bar? It runs parallel to the rear axle from the driver side axle to the passenger side body mount.
View attachment 262233

Yes, my uppers are straight as the one on the right of the pictures I attached. I climbed under the truck last night and verified, and was told by the dealer that some trucks came with straight, and some dog legged. There is a design one, and design two. Not sure which one is which.

I ended up ordering the Mevotech straight arms, and will install this weekend. I have a small clunk in the rear right, and the uppers are the only thing not new. Here's to hoping...

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, my uppers are straight as the one on the right of the pictures I attached. I climbed under the truck last night and verified, and was told by the dealer that some trucks came with straight, and some dog legged. There is a design one, and design two. Not sure which one is which.

I ended up ordering the Mevotech straight arms, and will install this weekend. I have a small clunk in the rear right, and the uppers are the only thing not new. Here's to hoping...
@lamerem I hope everything works out man. I too am chasing a clunk with this new adjustable track bar I installed. Truck is out of commission until I get it resolved.

OP
OP
lamerem

lamerem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the truck with the clunk already installed, lol. It had 75k on it and replaced the panhard bar with no relief. Now I am getting around to replacing the entire suspension and bushings, control arms, etc. Everything is brand new under there at 147k miles. The last thing to do is these damn upper track arms. That being said, it rides like a new truck, and was worth every penny to replace these components. I'll post back when I determine if this was the fix.

I've learned in life its always the last thing that you do that fixes the issue... HAHAHA

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I purchased the truck with the clunk already installed, lol. It had 75k on it and replaced the panhard bar with no relief. Now I am getting around to replacing the entire suspension and bushings, control arms, etc. Everything is brand new under there at 147k miles. The last thing to do is these damn upper track arms. That being said, it rides like a new truck, and was worth every penny to replace these components. I'll post back when I determine if this was the fix.

I've learned in life its always the last thing that you do that fixes the issue... HAHAHA

I learned that little tidbit of knowledge years ago. Sometimes you just have to keep plugging away at something till it finally bends to your will.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@lamerem When does your truck clunk? I have 2 clunks; 1 when taking off from a stop and the 2nd track bar clunks when my tahoes rocks from side to side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972