Upgraded Transmission and Converter Options for 2018 5.3L Premier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Tahoe, Premier, 5.3 liter. It has 68,000 on the odometer. The transmission felt a bit "off" so I took it in to East Coast Supercharging in NJ. They originally installed a TVS1900 on the Tahoe (about 50,000 miles ago) only 6 psi as of now and lowered it (within the first week of ownership).

Long story short, after a transmission service, we noticed some metal on the magnet. Trans feels fine post service but I know that I am on borrowed time. I know that I will ultimately need a transmission and converter. At the same time, I intend to swap the drive shaft to something more performance oriented so we can remove the speed limiter, turn up the boost (maybe 10-12 psi) and let it stretch its legs a bit.

What is everyone using for a performance transmission and converter? It is my daily driver and the family truckster so I cannot make it nasty to drive. Also, I do use it to drag the Corvette to the track in an enclosed trailer about 4 times per year. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and insight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What kind of metal? Chunks? Have you "flipped the pill" yet? Was that the first transmission service?

Flipped the pill?

They dropped the pan and changed the fluid and cleaned things up a bit (regular trans service).

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Built RPM transmissions would be what most guys with daily driven drag trucks use.
I did not think RPM would do 6 speeds.

They do nice work, they built by TR6060 and rear for my corvette and it handles 1250+ hpr all day long. I am ordering a TR6060 sequential for installation this winter... That will be a party when it comes in.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flipped the pill?

They dropped the pan and changed the fluid and cleaned things up a bit (regular trans service).

Yeah, the transmission has a thermostat on the side of it that kills them, usually by 100K miles or so. You either flip it or use the new one with a lower temperature. Your fluid was dead 25K miles ago because it runs so hot.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not think RPM would do 6 speeds.

They do nice work, they built by TR6060 and rear for my corvette and it handles 1250+ hpr all day long. I am ordering a TR6060 sequential for installation this winter... That will be a party when it comes in.
Ah yes, you're correct, sorry for the misinformation - no 6L80's by them upon further inspection.
I have a TR6060 manual trans in my Camaro that I'm going to have built by them eventually. I'm only at 900hp or so, so it's one of those "down the line" things.

Also, like stated above, definitely flip the pill. My Tahoe transmission runs so much cooler than it did prior, even when towing my 3898lb Camaro behind it.

OP
OP
B

BoosTTed C6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ah yes, you're correct, sorry for the misinformation - no 6L80's by them upon further inspection.
I have a TR6060 manual trans in my Camaro that I'm going to have built by them eventually. I'm only at 900hp or so, so it's one of those "down the line" things.

Also, like stated above, definitely flip the pill. My Tahoe transmission runs so much cooler than it did prior, even when towing my 3898lb Camaro behind it.
Nice. Thanks for the info. What is done to your camaro that it makes 900whpr?

I will say this - my stock T56 took abuse for 8 seasons with 800 whpr (ECS/Paxton 1500 with all the supporting mods) before I grenaded the rear and it took the trans with it.

My RPM built level VII TR6060 with Stage IV rear has been pretty solid. We are using a Mantic triple. I do find it to snick into third gear once in a while but that is when the trans is still not up to temp. It fought us on the 3/4 shift under WOT but that was an adjustment tweak and now we are good to go. My corvette makes well north of 1250 whpr (we have yet to max it out and we recently revised the intercooler and wastegate designs to handle even more flow) and I expect to not have any issues with the transmission.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. Thanks for the info. What is done to your camaro that it makes 900whpr?

I will say this - my stock T56 took abuse for 8 seasons with 800 whpr (ECS/Paxton 1500 with all the supporting mods) before I grenaded the rear and it took the trans with it.

My RPM built level VII TR6060 with Stage IV rear has been pretty solid. We are using a Mantic triple. I do find it to snick into third gear once in a while but that is when the trans is still not up to temp. It fought us on the 3/4 shift under WOT but that was an adjustment tweak and now we are good to go. My corvette makes well north of 1250 whpr (we have yet to max it out and we recently revised the intercooler and wastegate designs to handle even more flow) and I expect to not have any issues with the transmission.
Very nice, sounds like a fun car for half mile racing for sure.

My Camaro is a 2013 with a LS3 with forged pistons, LSA blower, upper and lower pulley, E85 flex fuel twin pump fuel system, big custom grind cam, long tubes, intake etc
Fun car for sure.