Upgraded camshaft..what do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know about how long it take to install a cam? guessing w/ the motor in the truck, i would have to pull my radiator in order to slide the cam out, but otherwise looking at the top end it looks pretty easy to get the valve covers off and such. Does one have to pull the intake or can that stay put as well?

But so far my list goes like this: new camshaft, new heavy duty pushrods(what length?), new valve springs (stock corvette ones should work?), and a new timing set.. any other items needed?

hyde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you from experience and many many dyno pulls on different trucks, a factory ZO6 camshaft, springs, CAI, headers and pulley, tune will make 330rwhp all day long and you wont even know it has a camshaft.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where would one source a Z06 cam and springs for a decent price? I'd imagine the local chevy parts department could get one, but I'd be afraid to ask how much it would cost from them...

Edit: would the corvette cam drop into a 6.0?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, but you'd think the 6.0, being larger cubic inches, would want a larger profiled cam.

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right. I'm still learning about all of this. I want some added power without a crazy chopped up idle...I do not want my rig sounding like a dragster. That vid you posted earlier is the polar opposite of what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, it sounds badass. Just not what I want for my every day vehicle.

Somewhat different than stock would be cool, just nothing crazy.

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a ZO6 Cam sound like the video above? Wouldn't mind my Tahoe sounding like that at all...What about the install of the cam? Would you have to pull the whole engine, or could you just pull the front grille, radiator ECT...?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
no, that's a big cam in the video...yes, pull radiator, front engine assebly down to timing chain, change springs, pushrods,etc.

hyde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy them used with low miles off of ebay and new off of ebay. I would check LS1tech for one. Cam and springs used runs around 200-300. Easy install roughly 6 hours truck will run with no tune good but you will notice alot more with tune. Ling cams arent rough idle and make decent power also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues