Upgraded camshaft..what do i need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i have an 04 tahoe with a 5.3. runs pretty darn good w/ my cai, corvette servo, and bb tune. But as always i want a bit more. SOOOO i am thinking cam swap.

What cams are good for a daily driver ( i have 130k on it already). I don't need the power to be top end by any means. Something with some good low end torque and a stiff mid range would be awesome.

So, what do the stock corvette cams do in these trucks? Are they more hp than torque or does it change a bit w/ our set up? How about cams made for these trucks, what is good?

With a cam install what stuff is an absolute must to replace? and what can slide? I assume you need some new springs (stock corvette or aftermarket?), and push rods?? Do i need new lifters? Do you have to remove the heads in order to get the new springs on, or can that be done w/ the heads installed?

Thanks for the help. in case it matters this is my daily driver..and i do some towing.. not a whole lot but i don't want to lose my ability to tow with a cam change.

OP
OP
O

odie301

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what kind of power gain can I expect with this?? will it run on my bb tune until i can get a re tune

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depending on the cam it will probably run...but might not run very well. You'll want a retune asap.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you have 130K miles on the engine and you have to pull the timing chain anyway for the cam install, I would replace it like blueflamed suggested. You can replace it with a stock single chain or upgrade to a double roller for better reliability and less chain stretch in the long run. Most aftermarket cams with a higher lift will require a spring change, and swapping to stronger pushrods for reliability isn't a bad idea while you're in there. This can all be done without removing the heads.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it should run fine with the BB tune, just better with the new tune to compliment the cam change.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

would LOVE for mine to sound like this....hhhmmm, maybe someday soon :D

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGbRCIdpV7I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGbRCIdpV7I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
it should run fine with the BB tune, just better with the new tune to compliment the cam change.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

would LOVE for mine to sound like this....hhhmmm, maybe someday soon :D

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGbRCIdpV7I&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EGbRCIdpV7I&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

Yikes..... no thanks. I'll turnover the hog if I want that much racket....

Well....my pop's hog, haven't been able to afford one YE! Ol' man is on like #38 and I got nuthin'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak