Upgrade transmission recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok all, I know my transmission is not going to last forever. I also felt a slip while driving the other day.. [emoji3525] I guess my BB tune will have to wait a bit. So, I’m looking for your recommendations for a good, reasonably priced upgraded transmission and torque converter. Currently just stock motor, with MIT intake and ARH longtubes. I’ll be tuning ASAP, and likely a stage 1 or 2 cam when I can. Someday, I’d like to supercharge her if it’s in the cards, but that would be down the road. So I’m looking for just a bump over stock that can handle a decent HP increase. I’m thinking I like the Cahall performance transmission here: https://cahallperformancetrans.com/4l60e,-65e,-70e
and likely their recommended protorque converter at probably stock stall speed.

Any recommendations, or places to stay away from are much appreciated!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, 03 Yukon right? 4 speed auto. First thing that rings in my mind is can it be swapped to the NNBS 6 speed auto for better mileage, drivability and longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yessir. That would be sweet.. however, I’m looking for as cost effective as possible. I also believe if the 4l60e is properly built it should have no problem holding up to a couple hundred HP / TQ increase.

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Ok all, I know my transmission is not going to last forever. I also felt a slip while driving the other day.. [emoji3525] I guess my BB tune will have to wait a bit. So, I’m looking for your recommendations for a good, reasonably priced upgraded transmission and torque converter. Currently just stock motor, with MIT intake and ARH longtubes. I’ll be tuning ASAP, and likely a stage 1 or 2 cam when I can. Someday, I’d like to supercharge her if it’s in the cards, but that would be down the road. So I’m looking for just a bump over stock that can handle a decent HP increase. I’m thinking I like the Cahall performance transmission here: https://cahallperformancetrans.com/4l60e,-65e,-70e
and likely their recommended protorque converter at probably stock stall speed.

Any recommendations, or places to stay away from are much appreciated!

I think @Rocket Man is running Performabuilt.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6l80 would need a stand alone with gen3 ecm would prob count that out.

there are still a few people/companys doing r&d for the 4l60... not so surprising since its found in so many cars/trucks but i dont know how budget minded its going to be to get one to hold a lot of hp compared to a relatively stock 4l80.

80e would need different transfer case and a little bit of wiring changed.

OP
OP
Sam Harris

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @randeez. I’m not looking for any huge hp increases right now. I figure an extra 100-150-ish tops.. I mean, I’d love to build a turbo, built 427.. but for now I’ll have to live vicariously through your build. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji631]

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you also feel the struggles <3

Nah what I mean is a used low mileage 4l80/converter/flexplate $1000, some wiring (free or $150 for swap harness), transfer case can be found under $500, drive shaft mods will be another couple hundred.

$2k doesnt buy a very built 4l60, or maybe it does? Dunno havent looked into them much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos